Thursday, February 02, 2017

Time Out Thursday: Hobbies? What Hobbies?

Pink Heart Society columnist, Jill Kemerer, shares her biggest time waster and how she's ditching it to pursue new hobbies.



I have two quotes on the bulletin board behind my desk.

"Life Changes"

"Carve Out Time for Yourself"

Both of these sayings ring true to me, but I have a difficult time actually putting them into practice. In fact, I stared at my laptop for several minutes trying to come up with a topic for this post. Time Out Thursday...hmm...how do I spend my free time? More importantly, how do I want to spend my free time?

The answer wasn't inspiring.

The reality is that life does indeed change, and I don't always change with it. I used to have hobbies and things I couldn't wait to do outside of work. Years of raising children, managing our household, driving the kids to practices, running errands and writing book after book has sapped much of my energy.

At the end of the day I'm tired. I just want to sit on the couch, wrap up in a soft throw and not have to do a single thing. Beyond reading, which has always been my favorite hobby and one I'll never give up, I have few, if any, hobbies.

I do, however, have a huge time waster. There are three games on my phone I'm completely addicted to because I can swipe away and not expend much energy in the evening.

Even though I know I'm wasting my precious free time on these dumb games, I haven't deleted them. Why not?

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, they are easy.

To pursue a hobby in my downtime requires effort. And, to be honest, part of me wonders if it will be worth it. Will it just be one more thing in an already crowded life? I don't know. I do know, I'm ready to try something new again.

I'm deleting my games. *I just deleted them. Wow. I feel free! We'll see how I feel tonight. I'm guessing...desperate.*

I'm bringing out the throw I've been crocheting for eight years (yes, EIGHT YEARS!!) and I'm finishing it. I'm recording the PBS show Spy in the Wild because it looks right up my alley--it has otters. I'm going to read a few genres I've never read before. I'm going to dream about vacations and bake new cookies, take more walks and figure out how I really want to spend my evenings.

There.

 I have no more excuses not to carve out time for myself. I'm ready for a new adventure. Are you?

How do you spend your free time?


Jill's fourth Love Inspired, Yuletide Redemption, is available at online retailers now. For all the purchase links, click HERE!



A Mother's Christmas Wish 

After an accident leaves Celeste Monroe to raise her baby nephew, all she wants is to provide one-year-old Parker with a happy life. She hopes taking a job caring for injured Sam Sheffield will help fulfill that goal. But Sam's determination to avoid the world throws a wrench in her plans. Despite his best efforts, Sam can't take his eyes off the pretty caretaker. Her strength and her loving nature has him falling for her—and her baby. But he refuses to burden them with a man who's not whole. Can Celeste convince Sam he's daddy—and husband—material in time for them to celebrate Christmas together?



Jill Kemerer writes contemporary romance novels with love, humor and faith for Harlequin Love Inspired. A full time writer, she relies on coffee and chocolate to keep up with her kids’ busy schedules. Besides spoiling her mini-dachshund, she adores magazines, M&Ms, fluffy animals and long nature walks. She resides in Ohio with her husband and two children.  Jill loves connecting with readers, so please visit her website, jillkemerer.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment