Thursday, November 24, 2016

Thanksgiving Thursday - The Bird

Pink Heart Society columnist Jenna Kernan is talking about the Thanksgiving Tale of The Bird...

I do not remember the circumstances that caused my mother to transport a cooked turkey from our hometown two hours away to the oven of her new daughter-in-law. But that was the arrangement that had been made by my mother and older brother's wife.

At the time, I was the athlete of the family, jumping hurdles, tumbling down floor exercise mats and swinging from the uneven parallel bars. I was sixteen, fleet of foot and generally coordinated. I was also the older of the two daughters who would be traveling to this particular Thanksgiving feast.. My younger sister, thirteen, was all about that awkward age. 

So why my mother decided to have my younger sister carry the turkey to the car I will never know.

My younger sister got as far as the porch before dropping the turkey on the peeling painted wood. We all stood in silence staring at the steaming bird and then to my mother for her reaction.  

I held my breath.  

My mother looked at me, knowing it was my fault for not carrying the bird, and then my sister, knowing it was her fault for dropping our dinner and then at the bird, knowing it was her own fault for not carrying it herself.  

Finally she stooped, returned the roasted carcass into the pan and stood holding the compromised offering.  She regarded us both with her sternest expression.


"This never happened," she said.

We did not speak of it on the drive. We did not speak of it as the turkey was placed in my sister-in-law's oven to brown up. We did not speak of it as a bird was carved. We ate the darn thing because you know...that never happened.  
I hope all your Thanksgiving Day tragedies are small and have all the ingredients for good  family stories.


~*~*~*


Have you got a favourite Thanksgiving story?  Join the discussion in the comments!

The next book in Jenna's Apache Protector series, Turquoise Guardian is out soon:

Her Warrior Protector

Carter Bear Den is a proud Apache of the Turquoise Canyon Reservation. The former US Marine is a member of the Turquoise Guardians working to protect his people and their land. When he discovers a grisly mass shooting at the Lilac Copper Mine, Carter's one thought is to find Amber Kitcheyan.

After breaking her engagement to Carter and relinquishing her membership with the reservation, Amber found work at the mine. Now she is the sole survivor of the shooting at best a witness, at worst a suspect. But Carter swears to protect the only woman he has ever loved, even if it means losing everything else.

Bestselling author, Jenna Kernan writes romantic suspense for Harlequin Intrigue. A Publisher's Weekly Best Seller, winner of the Book Buyers' Best award and two-time RITA nominee, Jenna has just moved to Florida from New York. Her popular APACHE PROTECTOR series from Harlequin Intrigue continues in January 2017 with TURQUOISE GUARDIAN #1.  Look for EAGLE WARRIOR #2 in February followed by FIREWOLF #3 and THE WARRIOR’S WAY #4

Jenna offers a FREE pre-release advanced read including CHAPTER ONE for the first three in her new series to new subscribers to her newsletter.  JOIN HERE.  

Follow Jenna 
@jennakernan, on facebook/AuthorJennaKernan

No comments:

Post a Comment