Friday, November 04, 2016

Friday Fun: Confessions of an Ugly Baker

PHS Columnist and Harlequin Historical author Nicole Locke says: If You Like the Great British Bake Off...Don't Look Here for Tips.

I have never, not once, baked anything beautiful. Don’t believe me? Let me just give you a few examples.

I recently did a bagel and pretzel baking class with my 14 year old son, who has never seen flour in its grocery form state in his life. As we were twisting the pretzels, I did it like any good three year old, laying it on the countertop and striving to make the three necessary twists because I was making a pretzel not a snail or a worm.
I was experienced with dough, I was trying. All the while my son was whipping the dough in the air and laying each of his pretzels just so on his baking tray. Guess which one is mine?

Or how about the luscious apple fritters I made using beer batter? One of the pictures is how mine turned out, the other was how they were supposed to look. And yes, there are apples in there...somewhere.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
See http://www.coquinaria.nl/english/recipes/06.1histrecept.htm how to make them. Don't take it from me!
I shouldn’t even mention this next concoction, let alone display a picture. It was supposed to be bread; I called it the blob.
 
Yet, year after year, I watch The Great British Bake Off, Masterchef and the Great British Menu. I stop and rewind the how-to shows like Lorraine Pascale, The Hairy Bikers’ and Simply Nigella. I want to watch the Victorian Bakers soon, but knowing those people baked for looks rather than taste, I’m a lost cause before I start!
So why do I do it? Why torture myself, when I’m surrounded by patisseries and bakeries and well…Tescos that have more presentable creations than mine? Because despite how my creations look, my family still eat them. Bless their little iron clad stomachs….

Does anyone else bake ugly?

-- Nicole (-:  
 
Nicole's fourth book in the Lovers and Legends series, In Debt to the Enemy Lord, is out now! She's celebrating with Giveaways at: Goodreads https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway, Night Owl Reviews http://bit.ly/NORNL and Harlequin Junkie http://harlequinjunkie.com until the end of the month!

“You have a debt to pay. You owe me your life.”

Anwen, bastard of Brynmor, has fought hard to find her place in the world. But she’s forced to re-evaluate everything when she’s saved from death by her enemy Teague, Lord of Gwalchdu. Instead of releasing her, he holds her captive…

Teague trusts no-one. And with ominous messages threatening his life he must keep Anwen under his watch, no matter how much her presence drives him wild. And when passionate arguments turn to passionate encounters, Teague must believe that the strength of their bond will conquer all!


To find out more about Nicole Locke, visit her website, and follow her on Twitter.



No comments:

Post a Comment