Friday, November 18, 2016

Friday Fun: How Buttercup Stole The Show

Pink Heart Society columnist Kristina Knight talks about why Buttercup and "The Princess Bride" hold a special place in her heart. 

"Do you promise not to hurt him?" That's Princess Buttercup from "The Princess Bride". One of my favorite movies and one of my favorite books (yes, I saw the movie first, yes, I think the book is better…) I've had a deep and abiding obsession love for The Princess Bride - be it book or movie format - since I was a teenager, and I still get swept right into the story any time I crack open the book or turn on my 25th Anniversary DVD.

I love Westley and I adore Inigo and I just want to fall into Fezzik's arms once...just once...and I hate Count Rugen and the Prince...and I giggle at Miracle Max and the senile King. But Buttercup is more.

Princess Buttercup is one of my all-time favorite romance heroines, even though she's so not a 'today' heroine because she allowed too much to happen to her. When Westley was 'killed' she holed up in her room to cry and die. When Prince Humperdinck proposed she went along with him. She rode her horse and quietly lived in the castle - not asking for anything, not demanding anything. She didn't fight off Vizzini or the Giant or Inigo. She didn't even scream. Okay, if a 7-foot-giant was coming toward me I might not scream, either. She did jump into eel-infested waters...but then she gave up.

And yet.

"Do you promise not to hurt him?" she asks, when she and Westley are cornered in the Fire Swamp. "If I return with you, will you promise not to hurt this man?"

When every other woman in her time would have stayed silent and allowed Westley and Humperdinck to fight for her...she spoke up. They were outnumbered. Westley would surely have been killed by one of Humperdinck's men. So she did what she could - she tried to get a promise from Humperdinck for her man, giving up her freedom in the process. It's a simple line, but a very powerful one, I think, from a heroine who truly had no power. Women in her time didn't vote. The had no jobs, at least the princesses didn't. And they certainly didn't have a choice in marriage and relationships. Still, she tried to do something. She tried to ensure Westley's freedom because the world without Westley in it was too dark. Even if they couldn't be together, she wanted to know that he lived. Somewhere.

Then there are the other things she does once she's found Westley alive and returned to the castle - she believes she has rescued him, and gets a promise from Humperdinck to send ships to find Westley (Humperdinck, of course, lies) and even threatens her own death. All for the love of a pirate ...

Of course she doesn't have to kill herself because Westley cheats death with the help of Miracle Max, Inigo and the Giant. He saves Buttercup, just as she has tried to save him.

I just have to sigh a little at that. Who is your favorite romance heroine?

Kristina Knight's release, Protecting the Quarterback, is available now from Harlequin Superromance: 


This is more than just a game … to her

Sports broadcaster Brooks Smith has always been more involved with the game than the players. But after she shares the spotlight at an awards ceremony with tabloid sensation Jonas Nash, one night of letting her guard down around the infamous quarterback spirals into many heated days and nights together when she gets assigned to the story of the year…

The hottest player in professional football is hiding a secret that could end his career for good. Now Brooks is caught on the sidelines between the job she loves and the man she is falling in love with.

Amazon  B&N  KOBO  iBooks  Harlequin

You can find out more the book and Kristina on her website, and feel free to stalk follow her on FacebookTwitter or Instagram

2 comments:

  1. I don't know that I have a favorite, but I do love heroines who aren't spunky, who feel no need to kick ass and take names...until...until they see mistreatment or cruelty. Even then, after they've annihilated the perp, they go back to being who they were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like those heroines the best, I think! Thanks for visiting, Liz!

      Delete