Sunday, October 23, 2016

A Little Something For The Weekend - Night Owl-dom

Today on The Pink Heart Society, author  
Taryn Leigh Taylor discusses living in a
9 to 5 world.



I've always been the girl who started her homework way too late the night before it was due. And I've spent a lifetime chalking that up to the fact that I'm a procrastinator. (Oh, and I am. I really, really am.) 

But lately, I've realized that procrastination is only part of the reason I spent my school years camped out at the kitchen table at midnight. The other reason?

I'm a night owl. 


It's very inconvenient. Especially as a person with a day job. I am notorious for staying up way too late and facing the consequences the next day. My snooze-button and I are intimately acquainted, and I spend a lot of time walking around like a zombie.

Perhaps one of these handsome zombie hunters could put me out of my misery...
But no matter how tired I am, sometime magical starts happening around 8:30pm. I start feeling like a person again. My brain gets clear, my focus sharpens, and the words start to flow. It's my most productive work time. Which means when 2am rolls around, I often have to force myself to shut down production, because we live in a world that favours the early-risers.
 

This adorable notebook I found at Chapters says it all.


Don't get me wrong. Morning is quite lovely. The few times I've been up and at the arena for 6am hockey practice, or on my way to the airport while the sun is rising majestically in the east. And I enjoyed the tranquility and beauty and thought to myself, "I should really get up earlier."

But the cold hard fact is this: no matter how inconvenient, all my best ideas come at night, so I guess I'll just keep stumbling through the day as a half-functioning human and let the stories flow when the sun sets.


So which one are you? Early bird or night owl? Let me know in the comments!




Taryn Leigh Taylor's novel, PLAYING TO WIN, is currently on sale for $1.99, along with her debut, KISS AND MAKEUP, and a whole bunch of other Harlequin backlist novels, until Oct. 25, 2016.



If you'd like to learn more about Taryn or her novels, check out her website. If you'd like to connect, she can be found on TwitterInstagram, and Facebook.

2 comments:

  1. Night Owl here! I can't seem to wake up mentally until after 1:00pm and usually go to sleep after 1am. I'm just now coming to grips with this because I used to be an early bird...or so I thought. Now that I read this, and realise I, too, have an ardent love of procrastination, I may have always been a late night person...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I confess to being a somewhat early riser...as in 7 or 7:30 AM is good. I could never be one of those writers who gets up at 4 AM to write before going off to work. Lucky for me, I work part time so I can write in the afternoon...when I'm not procrastinating anyway.

    ReplyDelete