Saturday, September 24, 2016

Weekend Wildcard - Halloween on the Horizon

Pink Heart Society columnist Jenna Kernan is talking about how to use videos for marketing your books...

“SHOW ME THAT HORIZON.”

That’s Captain Jack Sparrow at end of the first Pirate’s movie.

I feel the same way about Halloween as he does about sailing.  I love making my costume.  That’s right; I make them and its past time to begin.

During my years of working a day job, I would dress up for Halloween.  Lots of us did, but my costume was always a bit more than the typical cat ears and black tee shirt gig.  My two favorites were Effie Trinket from The Hunger Games and Maleficent from the Disney film with Angelina Jolie.  I spent weeks making the headpiece for Maleficent and was very pleased with the result.  I used a YouTube video to make the headpiece using black cardboard, bailing twine, electrical tape and plastic garbage bags.  The video is in Spanish so I had to watch it over and over.  I love the theme song, “Once Upon a Dream” so that was no trouble.  It drove my husband a little crazy though, I think. 


I like this headpiece because it does not involve a form or papier-mache. I can’t tell you how many I previewed.  Most didn’t look right and one was made from the woman’s hair!  That would make my costume have devil horns as I am a natural redhead!


If you start right now you can finish by Halloween!


Jenna Kernan in her Halloween costume

One costume that I’ve been collecting for years is my pirate.  I got the hat first, then the bustier.  My husband bought me the boots.  I’ve worn it for Halloween and plan to take it to Disney World this year, if I can get tickets for the Halloween bash.

What does this all have to do with my writing?  Not a thing.  It has to do with having fun and recharging the battery and pretending to be a kid again.  Some adults change into kids at birthdays or Christmas or on another holiday.  My kid day is Halloween. 


You had me at chocolate!

You know it isn’t all about the candy, but…Chocolate?  Yeah, I’m in.  As I get older it becomes all about the costume and becoming someone you are not, taking on a role and letting that inner child come out and play if only for a day.  Being an adult is mostly serious work.  It’s important to take time out to do something fun just for the sake of your innate need to play.



Jenna made this 40 lb pumpkin into soup!

Please share your favorite costumes in the comments section.  I can’t wait to see who you have been.

The next book in Jenna's Apache Protector series, Turquoise Guardian is out soon:

Her Warrior Protector

Carter Bear Den is a proud Apache of the Turquoise Canyon Reservation. The former US Marine is a member of the Turquoise Guardians working to protect his people and their land. When he discovers a grisly mass shooting at the Lilac Copper Mine, Carter's one thought is to find Amber Kitcheyan.

After breaking her engagement to Carter and relinquishing her membership with the reservation, Amber found work at the mine. Now she is the sole survivor of the shootingat best a witness, at worst a suspect. But Carter swears to protect the only woman he has ever loved, even if it means losing everything else.

Bestselling author, Jenna Kernan, writes romantic suspense for Harlequin Intrigue, Western Historical fiction and paranormal romance. A Publishers' Weekly Bestselling Author, winner of the Book Buyers' Best award and two-time RITA nominee, Jenna’s popular APACHE PROTECTOR series for Harlequin Intrigue continues in January 2017 with TURQUOISE GUARDIAN and February with EAGLE WARRIOR.

Jenna is forming a new review team.  If you are interested in getting free pre-release copies of Jenna's latest visit her website to apply to Jenna's Review Team.

For more details about Jenna Kernan's stories, visit her EXTRAS page, subscribe to her newsletter on her website, visit her Facebook page and follow her on Twitter.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't dressed for Halloween in ages but my youngest (who is 25) always comes up with fun costumes. I think his biggest hit was Heisenberg from Breaking Bad complete with shaved head, goatee and pork pie hat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wow. He shaved his head? That is really taking on the role!

      Delete
  2. I don't really do Halloween but I went to work as Bellatrix Lestrange on World Book Day one year and scared all the little kids half to death. That was a fun day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a favorite character for me. Love her!! What a perfect choice as it is a twist on a Halloween witch!

      Delete