Thursday, September 01, 2016

Time Out Thursday - Finding My Way One Meal at a Time

Pink Heart Society columnist Barb Han is talking about the most adorable new member of her family - a puppy!

Between running kids to school and activities on top of a busy writing career I can’t claim a ton of downtime. In fact, I’ve had so little in the past few years I’m never quite sure what to do with myself when I have a few hours (I know, this pains me to admit because it makes me seem boring—and I probably have been). I’ve been in full-on-Mommy-and-career-mode.

Anytime I’ve had a few precious hours to fill I’d immediately busy myself with organizing a closet (in my defense ours were bursting at the seams). Kids end up with a lot of clothing and toys that have to be moved in and out every few months.

Don’t get me wrong, being a Mom is one of my greatest joys and I love every minute of my career. Both running on full tilt can really keep a girl busy!

As the kids mature and become more independent (I’m down to the last one who can’t drive herself) I’m realizing that it’s time to shift focus and think about what I want to do instead of being in the emergency mode of what absolutely has to get done to keep the house happy and running.

This realization hit me square in the face during my most recent mid-summer project of cleaning out and organizing the garage. Don’t get me wrong, I’m thrilled to have some sense of order where we park our cars, but let me say this again in case you didn’t catch it the first time. I organized my garage for a fun summer project. And a new reality sunk in…there’s not an area left inside the house (or out) to organize. *chest squeezes*

This should make me happy, right? So, why do I feel an overwhelming sense of panic?

I’m pretty sure it all started when the kids were little. I’m big on making the best with what I have to work with and since kids needs to eat (so often!) I’ve thrown myself into playing in the kitchen. Mini Bundt cakes, anyone? 

I do enjoy having fun with food.

I did this fruit plate for Independence Day. 

I’ve worked on perfecting the breakfast taco…

And learned how to make a few new soups along the way.

For a number of years I grew a few of my own vegetables and herbs in a small backyard garden. 

And while I’ve enjoyed doing all of this while my family was young (and there are days when I really miss that stage), a new chapter is beginning. My kids are growing older and need less from me (and I have to admit there are days when I don’t like that so much) and I have more time.


It’s time for a new perspective. As much as I’ve loved feeing my family I’m starting to enjoy trying out a new restaurant instead of cooking (no dishes!). Here I am at the Palm in New York City where I visited in the summer and checked off a Life List item of eating at the Palm in NYC before seeing a show on Broadway. What at adventure!

When it comes to being an adult with grown (and/or almost grown) kids, I’m still on shaky ground. But I’m discovering new things to enjoy while I find my footing one meal at a time.

And it’s going to be okay. 

Tell me about you. What do you do for fun? Have you recently faced a transition that was scary and exciting at the same time? How’d you deal with it?

Barb's latest novel, Delivering Justice, is out today:

A sexy cowboy comes to the rescue of a beautiful woman who has no idea who she is… 

When Tyler O’Brien finds a woman lying helpless after an ATV accident on his ranch, nothing adds up. Especially his real, sudden attraction to “Red.” But aiding the amnesiac only compounds the rich Texas cowboy’s doubts. How can he unlock the truth? 

Learning that Red is desperately searching for her twin sister who may have come to harm, Tyler—who doesn’t “do feelings”—promises help and protection. Soon he’s also burning with desire. As the two race against time to find Red’s sister, they’re drawn deeper into a complicated mystery. Tyler will have to draw on every ounce of strength to keep this stranger safe…and resist taking her to bed.

You can find out more about Barb Han's writing on her website and Goodreads. Follow her on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest for regular updates and pretty pics!

No comments:

Post a Comment