Friday, September 09, 2016

Friday Fun: Healthy Snacks for Football Sundays


Today on the Pink Heart Society, Candace Shaw shares her healthy approaches to football Sunday snacks.
Its football season and my husband couldn’t be more ecstatic about it. For me, I don’t have a favorite team or player at the moment. So this season I’ll just sit on the couch next to my husband and read while he watches the games. Football Sunday in our household also means no more going out to brunch or lunch after church because he doesn’t want to miss kickoff. It also means instead of cooking a big Sunday dinner, the hubster prefers football snack food. Over the years I’ve changed the menu as we’ve grown older to more of a healthy but still fun and delicious one. Below are a few suggestions.
Nachos
I love nachos with all the toppings (lots of cheese) but after awhile I had to find a healthier alternative. I use organic blue corn chips that doesn’t contain any additional color dyes. I top it with shredded fresh spinach instead of shredded lettuce, tomatoes, shredded organic white cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes (for the hubs. I hate tomatoes.LOL) and ground, hormone-free turkey. And if you love sour cream like me you can substitute it with non-flavored Greek yogurt. I promise you it tastes the same if not better because I feel good knowing what I’m eating is healthier.


Chicken wings/Chicken Tenders
I don’t eat a lot of meat. Maybe once or twice a week. Usually fish. However, my husband is not going to give it up so now I buy chicken (and other meats) that is hormone-free with no extra antibiotics. Instead of ordering the chicken wings from our favorite wing place, I now cook them myself for game day. And no frying them. I bake them. At first my husband was a tad reluctant but now he doesn’t know the difference and insists mine are far better. Of course they are. They’re made with love. As far as chicken tenders, I don’t fry them either. Instead, I slice the chicken breasts into three and coat them lightly with seasoned bread crumbs and bake them. Healthier and easier clean up!
Smoothies
You really can’t go wrong with a smoothie. I like to experiment with them especially when they’re so many fruits in season at one time. My favorite fruits to use are strawberries, bananas, pineapples and blueberries. Sometimes, I manage to sneak in some wheat grass, spinach or kale, but if I do I use extra pineapples so the smoothie remains sweet and my husband won’t complain.

Do you have a healthy dish or snack that you make for football Sunday or other sports tournaments? Please share in the comment section.
Candace Shaw writes fun, flirty and sexy romance novels. She writes for Harlequin Kimani and also self-publishes. You can check out her book list on CandaceShaw.net or connect with her on social media. (Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.) Her latest release, A Passionate Night is now available where ebooks are sold.  Available in print on September 23rd.
Mixing business with pleasure leads to a passionate night.


Harper Bennett’s motto is work hard, play hard. Lately, she’s forgotten the latter and has focused her time as part-owner, along with her brothers, of the hottest nightclub in Atlanta. When an intriguing client enters, Harper forgoes her promise to never date a man that doesn’t live in the same city and she finds herself playing hard to get with Hunter Arrington. The passion that has ignited between them can’t be extinguished, and she dreads the day he has to leave.

Hunter travels the world because of his career and has no intentions of settling down until his eyes land on Harper Bennett. There’s something about the petite, sassy woman that he adores and makes him feel at home for the first time in years.  Now he’s faced with a life-changing decision and the thought of being without Harper isn’t an option

No comments:

Post a Comment