Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Tuesday Talk Time - Television Tips!

Pink Heart Society columnist Jill Kemerer shares tips to look your best for television appearances...and a strong warning about stripes!

I was recently asked to be on the fabulous local morning television show, Full Plate, hosted by Rebecca Regnier. As an author, I spend most of my days looking decidedly unfabulous as I pad around my house in yoga pants and a ponytail. So when I found out the taping date, I prepared.

First, I did an online search for what to wear on television. Every article I opened warned me NOT to wear all white or all black, and for-the-love-of-all-that's-good-in-the-world NEVER wear stripes. Not any kind of stripe. Wide, thin, vertical, horizontal--didn't matter. All stripes were off limits. I'm assuming stripes were introduced by evil trolls intent on making innocent television guests fail, but who knows? I just knew stripes were the ultimate no-no.

Another tip I read was to study, if at all possible, the television set to make sure your clothing does not clash with the set colors.

The dress I planned on wearing was *gasp* white with navy blue stripes. Yes. You read that correctly. WHITE with NAVY BLUE STRIPES!!!

I instantly felt ignorant for even thinking of something so dastardly. Shouldn't I have known deep in my soul that stripes and TV were like oil and vinegar, except worse? And to top it off, the set of Full Plate features cream cabinets with a black island. White and navy would look terrible!

I rushed to my closet and found old faithful, a form-fitting royal blue dress that has never failed me. Phew! Crisis averted. But what about my makeup?

Thankfully, I have a teen daughter who has impressive knowledge of applying makeup. She did a test run on me and even wrote instructions for me to do it on my own. What can I say? I'm blessed. One of the tips I read online was to make sure your foundation matches your skin perfectly. I actually ran to the drugstore the night before the show was taped to buy new foundation. I'm glad I did!

Since the segment was going to be about beach reads and I was bringing three books to recommend, I practiced short "pitches" about each book to share with the viewers. Audiences are like agents and editors--they don't want long, drawn-out speeches about the book. It's important to be able to quickly pinpoint a few key reasons why the book is perfect for them. I practiced several times over the course of three days.

The final piece of the television appearance puzzle was to accurately map out how to get to the station and leave with plenty of time to get there. It's always better--much better--to be early rather than late!

The day we taped the show went great. I felt confident in my non-set-clashing, all blue dress, and my makeup looked terrific. Talking with Rebecca was a blast! I loved meeting the other guests. Since I'd mapped out the route and practiced my pitches, I got there early and wasn't wringing my hands with nerves, but part of that was how comfortable Rebecca makes guests feel. She's a pro!

The show aired last Sunday, July  31, and I'll be sharing the link to it on my Facebook page (my page is linked if you'd like to see it) as soon as it's live.

So, to wrap up, here is my handy-dandy cheat list of Television Tips!

1. Avoid wearing all white or all black.
3. Make sure your foundation matches your skin tone perfectly.
4. Practice what you'll be discussing.
5. Map the route to the studio.
6. Leave early to arrive early.
7. Have fun!!

That's it! What did I miss? Feel free to ask questions!

Jill's latest book is the 3rd in the Lake Endwell series for Love Inspired and is out now.

Available Now!
Finding Her Way Home

Cozy Lake Endwell, Michigan, seems the perfect place for Jade Emerson's new T-shirt shop—and perhaps a fresh start. After a lifetime of letdowns, she is finally ready to face the future on her own. So when local wilderness guide Bryan Sheffield offers to help Jade overcome a past trauma, she warns him they will remain strictly business. But soon, with the help of Bryan's big, complicated family and a boisterous St. Bernard named Teeny, Jade's frozen heart begins to thaw. Now Jade wonders if she can return the favor, bringing a little happiness to a man who has long kept his own sorrow under wraps…


Jill Kemerer writes contemporary romance novels with love, humor and faith for Harlequin Love Inspired. A full time writer, she relies on coffee and chocolate to keep up with her kids’ busy schedules. Besides spoiling her mini-dachshund, she adores magazines, M&Ms, fluffy animals and long nature walks. She resides in Ohio with her husband and two children.  Jill loves connecting with readers, so please visit her website, jillkemerer.com.


  1. Thank you for sharing your experience Jill! I would have been at a complete loss. I'm with you right down to the comfy tee, yoga pants and ponytail lol.

  2. Oh, Sandra, without online search engines, the day would have been impossible! I'm so thankful for research!