Monday, August 22, 2016

Male on Monday - Male Viewpoints

Pink Heart Society columnist Tara Taylor Quinn is talking about how she handles male viewpoints...

As an author, one of the things you watch for, wait for, is someone of stature to notice – and like – your work. Big name author quotes for lesser known authors is huge in our line of work. If someone like Debbie Macomber likes what you do, then maybe some of her readers will, too. (Yes, I have a Debbie Macomber quote! More than one, but the most recent is on the header on my website.)

But Debbie wasn’t the first big quote I ever received. I remember the first. Distinctly. It came from New York Times Bestselling author Jennifer Blake. She hadn’t even been asked for it! She’d been a speaker at our local writer’s conference here in Phoenix. Somehow she ended up on the plane with my book. (I’d only written three at the time.) She hadn’t bought it and I hadn’t given it to her, but for some reason there she was, on the plane home reading my book. Apparently she finished the whole thing. And wrote and offered her opinion. 

I’ve never forgotten it. 

She said, in part, “Her handling of male viewpoint is exceptional. She seems to genuinely like and understand men as a species, an attitude as refreshing as it is unusual.”

So, Male on Monday? I wish I could tell you that I have a particular man in mind when I write my books. Or give you some celebrity who sticks out for me. But I’d have to lie. I don’t know where my heroes come from. Or how I know about them. I just sit down to write, go in and they appear. And I can’t tell you which of my heroes are favorites. That’s like asking a mother to choose one of her kids over another. Sort of.

I guess what I have to do is tell you about a hero who has grabbed me by the throat. His name is Pierce Westin. None of you will have met him yet. Only my editor, copy editor, and proofreader know him. He makes his debut in November, in a book titled, Her Soldier’s Baby. It’s a hokey title. Pierce hates it, I just know he does. If you meet him, you’ll understand. He’s…troubled. But honest about it. He did something he can’t take back. Something he can’t forgive. But did it for all the right reasons. He lives, now, to make life better for others. But knows his limitations. 

I don’t want to say too much. I’ll just share this from my editor, ‘When you said that this story took you through the ringer, I now completely understand what you meant. Pierce Westin is probably one of the most tragic heroes I’ve ever met, and his dedication and love for his wife are just as heartbreaking as his backstory.’ And after the editing stage, when she sent me the completely copy to proof, ‘Thank you so much for this story. I teared up AGAIN.’

Those are the quotes that I live for. The ones where I’ve done my job well enough to get the attention of a professional who reads all of the greats. In this case, it wasn’t me who got her, it was Pierce.

Tara Taylor Quinn's latest book, Love By Association, is out now:

A man of his word 

Dr. Bloom Freelander thought it was safe to breathe again when Detective Sam Larson put her abusive ex away for good. She's been moving on, running a private practice and providing psychiatry services to The Lemonade Stand women's shelter. But now that her ex is a free man, she's in danger once again. 

Forced into protective custody, Bloom can't help but fall for her protector. But she has every reason to doubt the handsome detective's word. Sam broke his promise to her once. Who says he won't break it again—along with her heart this time?

To find out more about Tara and her books, you can visit her website and follow her on InstagramPinterestTwitter and Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment