Tuesday, July 12, 2016

The Unplugged Life



I’m learning that it’s not all that hard for me to unplug. Some of the things I enjoy most, require no electronic gadgetry or electricity for that matter, so it works for me. Although I make sure all my titles are available digitally to my readers, I’m more of a print book girl (and proud of it). As for writing, I’ve written in long hand since I penned my first short story back in the summer of 1994. Give me paper and a pen and I’m good to go- no electricity/electronics required (until I’m ready for the typing and submission stages). Yeah, the unplugged life is not hard for me to obtain.

Let’s face it though, we all live in this world and it’s quite difficult to get through a day without learning of something that’s gone on.  I probably spend about an hour a day on Facebook-maybe. That’s not all at once, but during the course of the day when I may log in for 5min here or 10min there. I drop in, respond to a few posts, post a few things myself and I’m out. Same goes for my time spent on Twitter, Instagram, Goodreads, etc…

Still, there are those days when dropping in for a few minutes here or there won’t do. There are those days when dropping in for just a few moments is enough to clue you into all the horrors and injustices at work in our world. Given the topic of this post, you can see that I’m a true fan of living unplugged but like all things, moderation is key. Over the last several days; following the deaths of Alton Sterling, Philando Castile and the brave Police Officers who lost their lives in Dallas, there has been a lot of outcry and a lot of silence.



To those who have not necessarily unplugged, but who have turned a deaf ear to what’s happening in this country, I urge you to reconsider to some degree. If you believe unplugging makes it all go away, you’re wrong. If you believe silence and indifference will add bliss to your unplugged life, I believe you’re wrong. What’s happening in this country, racial injustice, racial strife, poverty, inequality…the list goes on…these things are not new things. They have been going on for centuries and turning that blind eye or deaf ear has been easier and more understandable because we weren’t as connected. Because of that, silence and indifference were easier to justify.


Let me be clear, there are many ways to unplug and not all of them are healthy. When you turn a deaf ear to your friend, neighbor or co-worker who is hurting and upset over the way things are-you’re unplugged. You’re unplugging on someone who may benefit from you offering a shoulder to cry on or an ear to listen.  This is how healing begins folks. This is how dialogue is birthed. This is how injustices and misconceptions are battled and defeated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment