Monday, July 25, 2016

Male on Monday - A Man Who Cares

This Monday at The Pink Heart Society, Harlequin Romantic Suspense and Nocturne author, Karen Whiddon talks to us about caring heroes.

I rescue dogs. And in some circles, I might even be considered a crazy dog lady. It’s funny, because when I was told the theme for my post was Male on Monday, all I could think about was having four male dogs and a husband. My lone female dog and I are sorely outnumbered. I love my boys and my man, and wouldn’t have it any other way.

In the rescue world, I see lots of caring men who do everything they can to help the dogs in need. Driving miles to transport them somewhere, fostering them, loving them, helping them heal, and finding them the perfect forever home. My husband is one of these men, but there are so many others.

This is what I find appealing in a man – the ability to care for someone or something other than himself. Fathers, uncles, brothers – you’ll find my heroes to be any or all of these. Rance Sleighter, the hero of my July Harlequin Nocturne Tempting the Dragon, is a widowed step-dad with a very sick little step-daughter. He will do anything and everything to make her dream come true – taking a leave of absence from his job even. What he didn’t count on was finding love too.

I’ve had a long-running Shape-shifter series for Nocturne – it started with One Eye Open back when the line was Silhouette Intimate Moments. I introduced Shape-shifting Dragons a few books back. They’re rare and often have special abilities. Rance Sleighter cares about none of that – all he wants to do is photograph an elusive lake monster for his step-daughter. And when his little girl disappears, he’ll stop at nothing to find her and bring her to safety.

And once he accomplishes that, he ends up with a few more unanswered questions. Who, or what is the so-called lake monster? And in the end, can a Shape-shifting dragon and a Shape-shifting wolf make a life together?

The story was an interesting challenge to create. I hit a few bumps during it, as my elderly father became ill and eventually passed away. I turned to my guys (and one gal) for comfort, and revised until the story was where it needed to be.

Every day, my dogs surround me as I write. They’re my kids and my co-workers, and I love them all dearly. Rescue is one of my great passions, and finding that has given me a purpose in life, in addition to the stories I have left to tell.

I hope you get a chance to pick up a copy of Tempting the Dragon. If you do, let me know if you enjoyed reading it.

Do you think that caring males make for the best heroes?  Join in the discussion in the comments!

Karen Whiddon's latest book, Tempting the Dragon, is out now:

What lies beneath... 

Investigative reporter Rance Sleighter had promised to prove the mythical Lake Creature existed. But its protector had already given him a heap of trouble, as well as inspired one too many hot fantasies. If Rance was going to get some answers, he'd have to get on the gorgeous Jade Burnett's good side…and keep her away from his bed! 

For generations, Jade's shape-shifting pack had kept the Creature safe. Now Rance's appearance had her rethinking all her vows. She'd seen him in her dreams, knew he was a shifter and that they possibly shared a life-changing bond. Yet could she find the courage to trust the dragon with the truth…and her own fragile heart?

To find out more about Karen and her books, you can visit her website and follow her on Facebook or Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment