Saturday, July 23, 2016

A Little Something For The Weekend - Introverting at RWA16

Today on The Pink Heart Society, author Taryn Leigh Taylor discusses keeping sane in an extroverted world.

So I just got back from having an incredible time at RWA16 national conference in San Diego, California. The conference itself is go-go-go! There's always a meeting, a workshop, an event to be at, and by the end, you're euphorically exhausted. But as an introvert, it's also a LOT of stimuli for me. Here are some of the ways I cultivated some "me time" to keep myself sane during the conference. (Plus, I get to post some of my vacation pics! Win-win! For me at least.)

So without further ado, I present to you  An Introvert's Guide to Keeping Sane at RWA.

First tip: be alone! Shocking prescription, I know, but sometimes you just gotta get back to basics and find somewhere to be by yourself. And you get bonus points if it involves the beach!

Sun on my face and sand on my toes.

Next, a change of scenery can work wonders. I found having my meals away from the hotel really restorative (especially when they involved lobster rolls! Yum!) and it's always nice to have a different view for awhile.
I even met a new friend at this particular meal!

Cultivate your curiosity! As an introvert, I have a tendency to get stuck in never-ending thought loops, especially at a conference so jam-packed with information. The antidote? I made sure to go on a little adventure to stretch my mind and my legs. Luckily for me, my parents were married at the Hotel Del Coronado, so I grabbed a map, rented an electric bike (so fun!) and went exploring.

So cool to see where my parents got hitched...

Another tip: seek out things that you enjoy. I come from a land-locked province, so any time I can get out on the water, I find it incredibly restorative. And for the record, this works especially well when there's a handsome boat-hand manning the ferry. *dreamy sigh*

Ahoy there, matey!

And last but not least, have an escape hatch! I found that sneaking back up to my room to sit on the balcony was enough to clear my head and reset.

Helluva view. San Diego, you've got style.

So this time I'm going to keep my question nice and simple: are you an introvert or an extrovert? Let me know in the comments.

Taryn Leigh Taylor's first novel, KISS AND MAKEUP, was shortlisted for the Kobo Emerging Writer Prize.

If you'd like to learn more about Taryn or her novels, check out her website. If you'd like to connect, she can be found on TwitterInstagram, and Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment