Sunday, May 15, 2016

Weekend Wildcard ~ On the Move

Today PHS columnist Jeannie Watt joins us for a short chat while she takes a breather from packing boxes.

I hope you’re having a great weekend. This post is a little short because, as the title indicates, I’m moving—leaving the house where I’ve lived for the past twenty-some years. I raised my kids there, learned to write there. I chased cows out of my yard and learned the intricacies of living off the grid. It’s hard to leave.

It’s also hard to pack. My house has a full basement and if there’s one thing basements lend themselves to, it’s storage. I stored a lot of stuff because I could. It gave me time to figure out what to do with it instead of having to make a snap decision. Everything is neatly labeled—military clothing (no one has been in the military for over 40 years); hard hats; VHS to convert to DVD (which are now becoming obsolete); Bedazzler; etc. All great stuff, but do I want to move it? Most of it, no. I’m trying to be strong, find homes for the good things, 86 the others.

The most difficult things to deal with are those related to reading and writing. Books that are old friends. Books that I hope will become new friends. Lots and lots of books.

I thought that perhaps I could empty the binders of writing-related articles I’ve collected over the years—articles written by people that I now meet at conferences and sometimes even share a drink with. With that thought in mind, I recently opened the first notebook I pulled off the shelf and the next thing I knew I was sitting on the floor reading and thinking, “This is good stuff. I can’t throw this away. I need to take a second look.”

So the books, right? I have a lot of books. Surely some could go. Surely...

I think you know where this is going and why I’m collecting cardboard boxes at work. They work really well for packing paperbacks, reference books, binders of writing articles. *sigh* the paring down in order to move in a streamlined manner is not going well.

However…my new house does have a basement. It’s just a matter of getting all this stuff there, so that I can make a decision on it. Later.


Rodeo star Grady Owen has a new challenge. No-nonsense Alexa Benjamin is tougher than any bull he's ever faced…but she sure is a whole lot prettier! Not that Grady has time for much between caring for his twin nieces, rebuilding his family's farm and training. Trouble is, the more he tangles with Lex, the more he wants to win her heart. 

Lex is drawn to Grady…in spite of herself. But ever since her bullfighter father died in the ring, she's determined to never need anyone again. She's afraid, and Grady is all about facing fear head-on. Taking a chance on this bull rider is unthinkable…but so is the idea of letting him walk away!  Amazon

Jeannie Watt writes fast paced western and contemporary romances. To learn more about Jeannie and her books, please visit her website or Facebook page. Coming soon: The Brodys of Lighting Creek - To Court a Cowgirl and Montana Bull Riders - The Bull Rider's Homecoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment