Thursday, May 05, 2016

Time Out Thursday - Writers be Writing

Jennifer Rae is back at the Pink Heart Society, talking about why her time out from writing is...well...writing...

This week’s post is supposed to be about what I do when I’m not writing. Well the thing is….when I’m not writing…I’m – you guessed it – writing. The trouble with us writers is that we’re always writing. Even when we’re not writing, were thinking about writing. Or we’re researching. Or we’re sitting in coffee shops watching people and wondering about their back story and whether we can use it in our writing. 

This obsession with writing is something built into a writer. 

And I know every writer feels the same way. Words are part of our DNA. I can’t remember ever not being able to read and I can’t imagine how frustrating life would be if I couldn’t write my words out.

So even though my career as a romance writer is part time, my full time job is that of a writer. I am a Journalist by trade and have written everything from feature stories and fluff pieces to hard hitting news stories. 

The written word is as natural and normal to me as breathing. I still find it incredibly odd when people tell me that they wouldn’t know how to write a sentence. I get it. It’s not everybody’s thing, but it brings me so much joy I can’t imagine not doing it.

What gets me seriously hot is a beautifully written sentence. A sentence that explains so much in just a few words. Or one that hits me hard in the feels. One of the best feelings you can experience as a reader is a sentence or a collection of words that say something so beautiful, so relatable and so perfect you actually have to stop and remember to breathe. 

That is my happy place. And that feeling is the reason I write. To maybe, perhaps, one day in the distant future create a sentence that makes someone actually stop and tell themselves to breathe and maybe just make them think a little deeper about something…all because of a few words.

Writing is something that I do every day. Whether it’s an article, a chapter of my latest WIP or just a babbling Instagram post, it’s part of my everyday routine. I feel naked if I don’t have a pen and paper or a piece of technology to write on and I get seriously anxious and a little angry if I don’t get to write every day.

Writers write. It’s what we do. It’s who we are. 

And if you want to talk more about writing, feel free to ask me anything – I’ll be sure to write you a long and detailed response.

Jennifer Rae's latest novel, The Hotel Magnate's Demand, is out now:

Claiming the woman he’s always wanted!

After wrapping up the deal of the century, Sydney’s hottest property tycoon Luke Moore is in town and craving distraction. So when ravishing Amy McCarthy saunters back into his life he’s very tempted! When they met years ago Amy was totally off-limits. But now she’s all grown up and ready to prove it...

Luke reminds Amy of a past she’d rather forget, but his expert touch helps seduce away the memories. And when Luke insists on indulging their chemistry on a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Singapore, denying his delicious demand is simply not an option!

To find out more about Jennifer and her books, you can visit her website and follow hero on Facebook and Twitter, and you can check out Jennifer’s babbling Instagram posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment