Thursday, May 19, 2016

Time-Out Thursday - Learning from Life

We're delighted to welcome Bridget Anderson to the Pink Heart Society, as she talks about what she does when she isn't writing...

What do I do when I’m not writing?  

Well, first of all let me explain that I am a student of life.  Anything I do when I’m not writing always pertains to learning something new.  I’m the type of person who could have stayed in college forever, if only I didn’t have to pay for it. I’m interested in almost everything and just about everywhere.  

Writing opened a door that’s allowed me to expand my knowledge base.  I never know if something I’ve learned will be useful in a future novel.

Okay back to “Time-Out Thursday.” 

When I’m not writing I have several guilty pleasures.  Reading, attending concerts, and traveling, just to name a few. Back in the days before I started writing I used to read everything. 

Over the years my reading slowed down. I missed it so much that I organized a book club made up of other authors who weren’t reading as much as they wanted to either. We’re all busy, but we find the time to read several books a year together.  

I’m proud to say that the last concert I attended was Prince’s, “A Piano & a Mike” tour in Atlanta, Georgia. The Atlanta show was the last show he performed before his untimely death in April.

But my favorite guilty pleasure has to be traveling. I love being a tourist, and seeing in person things I’ve only seen on television, or read about in a magazine. I also love submerging myself into the culture of wherever I’m at while learning all the localisms. Experiences from my travels have inspired numerous story ideas. I was involved in a car accident in Mississippi, which went into a book. I walked across a rope bridge in Africa, which I’ve also used in an upcoming book.

Oftentimes I take various trips and put them together to come up with a story. Which is what I did when I plotted out my latest release, When I Fall In Love

The novel was inspired by a long drive on the Bluegrass Parkway in Kentucky. I love long distance driving, but that Bluegrass Parkway is like a drive to nowhere. You can travel for miles and not see another car. And when you finally do see another car, it’s the police, and you’re speeding. 

Then I enjoyed a short stay at a small Bed and Breakfast in Beaufort, South Carolina. The home was owned and operated by some of the nicest people you’ll ever want to meet. After I decided the story would take place at a B&B I wanted to add an unusual twist. 

 When I was younger I made several visits to Joe Huber’s Farm in Indiana to pick strawberries and vegetables with my family. Those memories are still ingrained in my mind. While researching I read about an organic working farm that I could see my hero, Rollin Coleman, working. What would be worse than to take a city girl who checks into that B&B to relax, only to find out she’s on a working farm and there will be very little relaxing. Welcome to the Coleman House B&B.

And if you want to talk more about writing, feel free to ask me anything – I’ll be sure to write you a long and detailed response.

Bridget Anderson's latest novel, When I Fall in Love, is out now:

Love creates its own rules 

Ascending the corporate ladder has consumed most of Tayler Carter's adult life. Now the savvy Atlanta VP and female-empowerment speaker is ready for a well-deserved retreat. A fabulous antebellum mansion turned B and B in rural Kentucky is the perfect change of pace. But her host is no unsophisticated farm boy. Rugged hunk Rollin Coleman is educating Tayler in the wonders of natural food and down-home passion. 

Transforming his family's struggling homestead into an organic cooperative is starting to pay off for Rollin. But without the right woman, it's a lonely existence. Until he introduces his alluring new guest to the pleasures of the countryside. And once his small-town community embraces her, can Rollin count on Tayler to leave her fast-paced world behind and together create a place they can both call home?


To find out more about Bridget and her books, you can visit her website and follow her on Facebook and Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment