Thursday, May 26, 2016

Time Out Thursday - Gardening

Romance author, Susan Sleeman is talking about the things that get her out of bed and into the good weather...

When I’m not writing and the weather is good, you’ll find me out in my garden and yard. I love, love, love to dig in the dirt and tend to plants.

The colors are so vivid and I find that man cannot create colors with such depth and beauty. Take these flowers from my yard for example. Even the white is so vibrant it’s nearly impossible to recreate.


Then of course, there’s harvesting fresh fruits and vegetables for my family. There is nothing better that a tomato fresh from the vine. And you can grown fun veggies like purple carrots and potatoes.


But I guess the main reason I like it so much is that it gives me time to empty my brain from all the thoughts I have to keep straight to write suspense and mystery novels. Though I have to admit, sometimes I sneak outside to work out a problem I’m having with a particular book.


And, life is extra special when I can incorporate my two loves—writing thrilling suspense books and gardening—together. It’s a given that I have characters who loves gardening in my books, but in Web of Secrets, my latest book release in my Agents Under Fire series, the two combined in a bizarre way.

As I researched how search dogs located buried bodies, I learned how plants and tree roots carry the scent of decomposition along their roots and this is the location where the scent can be the strongest. So the dogs often light on a spot away from the actual body. Now, when I’m digging in the yard and find a large tree root, I think about how amazing these search dogs are in locating a body. And let me say, I have a lot of trees in my yard with lovely roots like these.



What about you? Have you ever read something in a book that has changed how you look at some of your favorite things?

The first book in the series, Web of Deceit, is out now:
When agent Kaitlyn Knight’s brother-in-law, the notorious cybercriminal Vyper, kills her sister then goes on a murderous spree taunting Kait, homicide detective Sam Murdock must find Vyper before he takes another life. 

As the body count rises, Sam discovers the killing spree is really about striking back at Kait, and he must put everything on the line—including the relationship he’s developed with Kait—to ensure her safety. 

Vyper is waiting, watching her every move, and he won't stop until he's exacted his revenge and reclaims his rights to raise his daughter now in Kait’s custody.


For more information about Susan Sleeman and her writing, check out her website and blog, and follow her on Facebook and Twitter!

7 comments:

  1. I enjoy growing a few vegetables behind our house. We usually plant tomatoes, jalapenos and basil. I'm terrible about weeding, so we keep our garden tiny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always learn something new in every book that I read. I did not know that info on search dogs and plants and roots- very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't want me any where near your garden. I have a BROWN thumb. I really did enjoy reading about the cadaver dogs and how they search for bodies in Web of Secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an interesting fact about the scent being strongest along the tree roots. I haven't read any of your books before since you are a new to me author.

    I have a terrible time keeping plants alive except for cacti.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an interesting fact about the scent being strongest along the tree roots. I haven't read any of your books before since you are a new to me author.

    I have a terrible time keeping plants alive except for cacti.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know that about the dogs or the trees! Interesting that the dogs go away from the scent.
    Your new book looks like a great read--right up my alley. I love mystery/suspense with a bit of romance thrown in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In my small garden I plant tomatoes, bell peppers & green beans.

    ReplyDelete