Monday, May 02, 2016

Male on Monday: Country Bad Boys

Pink Heart Society columnist Jill Kemerer looks to country music for her cowboys...

I've been plotting a new series set  in Wyoming. The books will be heavy on cowboys, ranchers, and all things rugged. So when I started casting my heroes, I knew exactly where to look for inspiration--country music!

Country music has been providing hero inspiration for decades. I'm sure there were plenty of ladies swooning over Johnny Cash and George Jones back in the day. Then there were the 90s heartthrobs like George Strait, Alan Jackson and Garth Brooks. Soon Tim McGraw, Kenney Chesney and Brad Paisley took over.

And now we have a new breed of country bad boys, and I, for one, am loving it!

Let's start with Luke Bryan...

Luke Bryan sings about how corn makes whiskey, catfish dinners, kicking the dust up, trucks, tractors, honeys and strippin' it down. Maybe I've never eaten catfish, rarely kick the dust up, and know next to nothing about making whiskey, but who cares? I like his music!

Next up, Jason Aldean:

Jason is another true country boy. His songs are heavy on farming, tractors, partying and 4-wheel drives. Jason's songs remind me of my roots in Michigan with cousins and uncles who farm. Here's my favorite Jason Aldean song (an oldie but a goodie!).

Moving on to Sam Hunt!

Then we have a newer style of country song with singing/talking by Sam Hunt. Sam's songs are pretty romantic. We feel his pain after his girlfriend breaks up with him and starts dating someone else in town. We wish he would bring us a house party when we're curled up in our sweat pants on a Friday night. Mm-mmm! Sam might just be the ideal Harlequin hero!

Here's Sam getting his heart broken:

I have to include Hunter Hayes...

Hunter Hayes is a young 'un, but he's so cute! Plus, his songs remind me of high school and first loves. He's all emotions and I can relate!! Here's one of my faves. The lyrics remind me of why I read romance novels. I think we all want crazy. :)

There are so many more cute country guys out there. Look up Thomas Rhett, Justin Moore, Brantley Gilbert, Dierks Bentley and Keith Urban!

Do you like country music? If yes, who is your favorite country music singer/group?

Jill's April 2016 release, Her Small-Town Romance, doesn't feature any country music stars, but Bryan Sheffield is still extremely hunky. You can find purchase links to all major book outlets HERE:

Finding Her Way Home...

Cozy Lake Endwell, Michigan, seems the perfect place for Jade Emerson's new T-shirt shop—and perhaps a fresh start. After a lifetime of letdowns, she is finally ready to face the future on her own. 

So when local wilderness guide Bryan Sheffield offers to help Jade overcome a past trauma, she warns him they will remain strictly business. But soon, with the help of Bryan's big, complicated family and a boisterous St. Bernard named Teeny, Jade's frozen heart begins to thaw. 

Now Jade wonders if she can return the favor, bringing a little happiness to a man who has long kept his own sorrow under wraps…

Jill Kemerer writes Christian romance novels with love, humor and faith for Harlequin Love Inspired. Jill loves coffee, M&Ms, fluffy animals, magazines and her hilarious family. Visit her website,, and connect with Jill on Facebook, Twitter and sign up for her Newsletter.


  1. You didn't include Dierks!! Jill, we need to have a conversation! :)

  2. Haha!! I mentioned him at the end, but you're right. Dierks Bentley needs to be showcased!!