Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Blog Rewind - Five Reasons Coffee is Awesome by Barbara Wallace

(PHS Columnist Barbara Wallace is buried under a deadline.  This blog is a reprint of a Chocolate Box 2014 post.  It applies more than ever today.)

Those who know me will find this hard to believe, but once upon a time, I didn’t drink coffee. I preferred tea. Then one day my office ran out of tea, and I needing a pick-me-up to get me through my next meeting, made a cup of coffee instead, and

  Well, hey now!

 From that moment on, I realized coffee was put on this earth to make our lives better, brighter, and more productive. If not for this delicious black nectar (served with a splash of milk thank you very much), I would not have written my first novel, let alone the next fifteen. Coffee is what fuels my day. My world. Some people would suggest that caffeine is addictive. To them, I say probably so, but it’s an awesome addiction. And now, thanks to science, I have proof that coffee has amazing super powers. I share some of that proof with you today. Did you know….

 Coffee Brings Happiness. “Tell me something I don’t know,” reply coffee drinkers from around the world. Okay. Did you know though that there are actual studies that say coffee decreases depression and that the aroma reduces stress? No wonder the smell of fresh brewed coffee in the morning brings a smile to my face. Source

Coffee Makes You Smarter. And I don’t mean simply because the brain fog has lifted. Caffeine stimulates neurotransmitters making us more focused and efficient. Source

Coffee burns fat. That’s right. Drinking caffeine can actually increase your metabolism from 3-11%. I’m guessing scientists mean black coffee though, not a big foamy latte. Source

Coffee really is good for you. Did you know that coffee comes from a fruit? The coffee “bean” is actually a seed from the coffee cherry. So technically, coffee counts as one of your five-a-day fruits and vegetable. No, not really. It does, however, contain a ton of antioxidants which are good for you. Source In keeping with that last point….

Coffee is life. Literally. A Harvard university study showed people who drink three or more cups of coffee a day have a 10-15% lower risk of death of things like diabetes and heart disease. Whoo hoo! Source

 So drink up, my friends. Coffee is as awesome as well always knew it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment