Saturday, April 09, 2016

Wild Card Saturday: The Call

Today on the Pink Heart Society, Candace Shaw shares The Call from Harlequin.

I’ve wanted to be an author ever since I was in fourth grade when I read Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. I also wanted to be a teacher, a fashion designer, an actress, a detective and an event planner along with a slew of other fantasy jobs. Out of all of those, the two that remained prevalent all through childhood up until college was being a teacher and an author. However, being a writer still seemed to be just a dream even though I was writing whenever I had a chance.

After awhile real life took over with lesson plans, grading papers and being a wonderful wife. One summer vacation, the writing bug hit again and this time I decided that perhaps my dream of being an author wasn’t so far-fetched and that I could and would make it happen. I won’t bore you with all the details.  Here’s a quick rundown of about four years. I received rejections letters for my romance novels, published four test prep workbooks with a big name education publisher, joined my local chapter of Romance Writers of America and decided to self publish my romance novels.

Everything was wonderful. My self pubs were doing well and I was gaining readers almost every day. And then one January afternoon I received an email from an editor for Harlequin Kimani Romance. My heart dropped, and I was too terrified to open it. I hadn’t sent anything to Harlequin or anyone else in the past year. The last I’d heard from Harlequin Kimani was a rejection letter the year before so I couldn’t figure out why she would be emailing me. I took a deep breath and clicked on the email. She basically stated she wanted to speak with me about possibly writing for them.

I worked on my proposals, emailed them and waited---nervously. On February 7, 2013, I received The Call. I remember staring at the caller ID in utter disbelief thinking would they call me with a rejection? I finally answered and it was definitely not a rejection. After I hung up, I was still in shock and when my husband asked me what we discussed I said, “I have no idea. I was too busy trying to cry silently.” Luckily, she sent an email of what we discussed later that day. I’ve dreamed of receiving The Call. I’ve read Harlequin books since I was in middle school, and when I decided to pursue my dream of being a romance author, it was my goal and mission to write for Harlequin.  On February 28th, I signed my contract, thus officially becoming a Harlequin author.

My debut book with Harlequin, Her Perfect Candidate, was released the following year. Below is the cover and blurb.

I’ve always been very goal-oriented even if I thought it was unattainable I’d try anyway. Is there a goal or dream of yours that you had that you thought was impossible but you made it happen? Let us know in the comment section.
Candace loves connecting with readers and can be reached on her website, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

Campaign of seduction 

Co-owner of an up-and-coming interior-decorating firm, Megan Chase loves being a single woman on the fast track to success. But everything changes when a flat tire brings Georgia senator Steven Monroe into her life. The sinfully sexy politician needs the right woman to clean up his image. And with Megan's fine eye for detail, she just may be the woman for the job.  

Steven's reputation as a player could cost him his chance at a U.S. senate seat. But when the cameras catch him and Megan in a kiss that's all too real, it's not only his future candidacy in jeopardy. As the lines between politics and desire begin to blur, how much will he risk to transform their passionate pretense into a landslide for love?

No comments:

Post a Comment