Monday, April 18, 2016

Male on Monday: I Need A Hero

A Pinterest Footballer
Pink Heart Society columnist Kristina Knight
Kristina Knight
talks about casting characters...


One of my favorite things about being a writer is casting my characters. Sometimes I have an idea of what a character should look like - body type, hair color, eye color - and sometimes I don't have a clue. In either case, I find Pinterest is an amazing timesuck resource. Since my first book was published, I've created pinboards for each of my stories. I also have future inspiration pinboards and boards of recipes that I'll never make but that look really delicious, places I'd like to visit and sewing/quilting projects I'd like to make.

It's the future inspiration boards, though, that draw me back every time. In addition to pictures of people, I keep inspirational sayings on there, some clothing ideas, and even a few nature-y pictures of houses and cabins and beaches and mountains.

Mr. The Rock as Jonas, laughing
When I was in the beginning stages of casting the characters for my new book, Protecting the Quarterback, I was torn between two heroes: David Beckham and Mr. The Rock. Being torn between them wasn't all that hard...but I knew I had the make a choice. The problem was, they were both Jonas, my hero.

But, how can that be?

Well, Jonas is a football player in the NFL. A quarterback. He's got to be muscley and tall and have good hands. All qualities that I associate with Mr. The Rock. Plus, Jonas has a great laugh, and I love Mr. The Rock's laugh.

But, Jonas does not have Mr. The Rock's melting-chocolate eyes. Not at all. His are a bit more direct, a bit more clear. They aren't blue like David Beckham's eyes, but they are like Beckham's if you can understand my very twisty train of thought.

David Beckham as Jonas
When I look at a picture of David Beckham, whether that is a candid shot or a posed, modelly picture, I'm always drawn to his eyes. His gaze is a little bit dangerous, a lot direct. The set of his mouth is more serious than laughing, and his tattoos...oh, those tattoos. I don't know Beckham, but I imagine his tattoos are very personal to him...and Jonas' tats are incredibly personal to him.

So, decision time. Did Mr. The Rock make it as the casting of Jonas or did David Beckham? Yes. I took the things I like best about each of these men and created my hero, Jonas, from there.

He's got the laughter of Mr. The Rock, along with the height and the muscles and the not-too-serious-ness. But he's got the gaze of Beckham - direct, soul-filled, dangerous.

Oh, and there are a few tattoos, too, that are all his own.

If you had to cast the perfect sports hero, who would be your choice?



Kristina Knight's latest release, Protecting the Quarterback, releases May 1 from Harlequin Superromance: 

This is more than just a game … to her

Sports broadcaster Brooks Smith has always been more involved with the game than the players. But after she shares the spotlight at an awards ceremony with tabloid sensation Jonas Nash, one night of letting her guard down around the infamous quarterback spirals into many heated days and nights together when she gets assigned to the story of the year…

The hottest player in professional football is hiding a secret that could end his career for good. Now Brooks is caught on the sidelines between the job she loves and the man she is falling in love with.

Amazon  B&N  KOBO  iBooks  Harlequin

You can find out more the book and Kristina on her website, and feel free to stalk follow her on FacebookTwitter or Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment