Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Writer's Wednesday - How to Write When You Have No Time To Write

Nina Milne of the #3Amigas is back at the Pink Heart Society as she talks about making time for writing...

When I had an office job I had to get myself suited and booted and into said office every morning and then work could commence…..and continue uninterrupted.

Now I work from home all I need to do is remain in my PJs and boot up my lap-top. So technically that should equate to more work time right? No need for make-up, or a daily commute, no office gossip to distract me, no need to make lots of people coffee every time I want a cup…. So surely I should be mega productive… and meet all my deadlines with ease…

Ha! Ha! Ha!

It doesn’t seem to work like that. Right now I am in deadline frenzy and that’s because home contains my life and if I’m here I can’t avoid it……if the builders are in (as they are right now) then they need my input and cups of coffee (even when I don’t want one), we have a dog (because I work from home) who needs walking, I’m here when the school day finishes - a perk of working at home that I LOVE but I get distracted by my lovely (most of the time) children.

Now I can factor a lot of that in but when home life goes extra manic which it seems to do with regularity I somehow need to get words down…

So here are my tips for writing when you have no time
1) Clutch your hair in PANIC – I do!

2) Give yourself permission to write rubbish – the important thing is to have words, any words, on screen because each word is a step forward - even the words you know you will delete tell you something about your characters

3) Write whenever you can – even if it’s just for five minutes here and there – the words do add up

4) Multi task – whilst you walk the dog try to picture the next scene or what doesn’t feel right about the current one
5) Don’t beat yourself up – it takes too much time!

6) Make sure you take a few minutes each day to breathe and strive for a state of zen as has been achieved by my lovely cat and dog. A few months after gorgeous Dottie the Dogs arrival in our household to disrupt the peaceful life of our equally gorgeous Athena the Cat they have achieved an understanding that allows them to do this.

7) IGNORE all housework COMPLETELY

If you have any tips how to write when life gets in the way I’d love to hear them!!

Nina's latest book, Christmas Kisses with Her Boss, is out now:

A mistletoe kiss to change her life… 

Ethan Caversham has always avoided Christmas. But when he hires Christmas-loving Ruby Hampton to transform an English castle into a luxurious festive resort, that's about to change! 

Ruby longs for the perfect Christmas with the perfect family but it's always been slightly out of reach. Now, though, her new boss is sending tingles up her spine with every stolen kiss! If she can just convince Ethan to let go of his past, perhaps this will be the year all her Christmas wishes come true

Nina Milne lives in Sussex, England with her husband and three children. Prior to becoming an author, she worked as an accountant and a recruitment consultant. To find out more you can follow her on Facebook and Twitter.

1 comment:

  1. Get daily suggestions and methods for generating $1,000s per day ONLINE for FREE.
    GET FREE ACCESS TODAY

    ReplyDelete