Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Tuesday Talk Time: I Miss Bookstores


Today on the Pink Heart Society, columnist Candace Shaw shares her memories of
bookstores.

Almost every weekend as a little girl my parents and I would do either two things: go to the beach  or to a bookstore. Like my mother and her father, I’m an avid reader. My nose was always in a book for as long as can remember. I enjoyed our weekend trips to the bookstore and sometimes the library when I’d spent all my allowance on books.

As I grew older, so did my love for reading and my journeys to bookstores. When I met my husband, he was surprised that for one of our dates I suggested lunch and then Barnes and Noble. I think he thought I wanted to pick up one or two books not spend two to three hours browsing the shelves, sitting on the floor surrounded by books, skimming the non-fiction section and reading magazines. And of course my favorite was stopping by the coffee shop for caramel cappuccino and a Danish. After awhile he began to enjoy the outings as well and considering we’re educators, we were both buying books for our classroom reading centers.

It became a routine for many years well into our marriage to the point of just passing by one, we’d stop by it. However, now with most of the bookstores closed in Metro Atlanta, including our favorite one where we knew the employees, shopping for books on line just doesn’t have the same passion for me. And I love to shop. The closest one to me is miles and miles away and while we do go occasionally, I find myself downloading books to my Kindle because it’s quicker, and I don’t have to leave my home.
Apart of me is grateful for the easy access to the books thanks to technology. However, there’s another part of me that’s sad because one of my favorite outings since childhood is gone.

Do you miss bookstores or are you happy that a book is just one-click away? Let us know in the comments.

Candace Shaw writes fun, flirty, and sexy romance novels. She loves to hear from readers. You can follow her on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Google Plus. Check out her books on her website at CandaceShaw.net. Below is her latest release, For the Love of You.
Zaria Richardson is determined to make her event planning company, Precious Moments, the most sought after on St. Simons Island, Georgia. When Dr. Garrett Braxton approaches her with shocking information about their rendezvous last year to Las Vegas, the perfect life she’s created for herself comes crashing down. All of her mixed emotions over the suave, irresistible doctor rise to the surface, and now she’s faced with a life-changing decision.

Garrett has been in love with the ravishing, sassy beauty since he first laid eyes on her. However, with an unexpected circumstance, he now knows more than ever that Zaria has always been the one for him. Can he convince her that they’re truly meant to be?

For the Love of You is the first novella in the Precious Moments Series.

7 comments:

  1. I love bookstores too and I was sad to see one of my favorites close. It's something about walking down the aisles and picking up books that catch your interest. I guess that's because I still like reading an actual book. I have ebooks,but I prefer books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer actual books as well, Jennifer especially if its a book I've enjoyed and want to add to my bookshelf.

      Delete
  2. I miss them, too. There is one about 35 miles away, but it's not a favorite and they have to do so many other things (games, etc.) to stay alive that the books and the reading and the atmosphere get lost on the way to the coffeeshop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The atmosphere has definitely changed even though I have to admit I do love the coffee shop since I'm a coffee lover!

      Delete
  3. Even though I absolutely love the convenience of purchasing from my kindle at anytime I miss books stores. That was my get away time.I would browse the book store sip coffee and just relax. I also miss taking my kids. My son is not a avid reader like me but he always manage to find a book that caught his eye. My daughter too was always super excited to go because she knew she would be leaving with some type of book. Yeah so I really do miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though I absolutely love the convenience of purchasing from my kindle at anytime I miss books stores. That was my get away time.I would browse the book store sip coffee and just relax. I also miss taking my kids. My son is not a avid reader like me but he always manage to find a book that caught his eye. My daughter too was always super excited to go because she knew she would be leaving with some type of book. Yeah so I really do miss them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sherika! Great to see you! I so agree that bookstores were a get away time. I'm sure your children will remember it just like I remember when I was a child, too. Fun experience!

      Delete