Friday, February 12, 2016

My Two Roarkes

Audio-books have become almost as important to me as the fuel I need to drive myself to work. I’m pretty much in a constant state of listening to audio-books. There are few things that will make your day more delightful than being in the grips of a great book while behind the wheel of your car. Traffic worries and the overall stress of the day to day grind seem to melt away as I listen to a work of art coming to life inside my head.

One of my favorite series is JD Robb’s In Death saga. I’ve read the entire collection and a couple of years ago, I found another way to enjoy the set when I discovered it on Audible. A new title had just been released and I decided to try it as an audio-book instead of reading the print. I thought I’d made a huge mistake when I began to listen and heard the narrator’s depiction of certain character’s voices. Don’t get me wrong, she’s an amazing performer and now I couldn’t think of a better choice for the job. I have almost the entire set downloaded and have listened to some titles more than once. Judgement In Death is my absolute favorite! That first listen however…just wasn’t what I’d expected when it came to her depiction of the hero’s voice. 

For those of you who are unaware of this series (where the heck have you been??!!) Seriously, it is masterfully written work and you’d do yourself a tremendous favor by getting into it print or otherwise. While the heroine Eve Dallas is a force to be reckoned with, it’s the hero Roarke that steals it. I read a lot-A LOT- and I’ve not found a hero written by anyone -other than myself J- that I adore more than Roarke. I don’t know where the inspiration for his character came from, I’m just thrilled that it came.

Print Roarke blew me away. Audio Roarke now holds me in a state of awe. Listening to Susan Ericksen’s depiction of this Hero of Heroes at first rubbed me the wrong way because in my mind no one could be Roarke but…well…Roarke. Take it easy I’m not losing my mind- not all of it J- I’m simply saying that for me, there’s just no one who could appropriately depict this guy. 

With all the movies and TV shows being adapted from so many dynamic books, I know an In Death series in visual format can’t be too much farther down the pipeline and I hope it stays there. I honestly don’t know where they’d find the guy who could step into that role. I can’t think of one actor right now who could play the Irish billionaire. Understand, it goes beyond Roarke’s looks- which are killer. There’s the personality, voice, style, charisma…too many attributes to name. Maybe I’m fretting for nothing and that undiscovered actor will grow on me. No rush. Print and audio Roarke are working just fine.


  1. I've avoided this series because it's set in the future, but you've convinced me! I love listening to audiobooks in the car, too. I look forward to long journeys now!

  2. Altonya, I swear we share the same brainwaves! I too love J.D. Robb's Death series and have listened to almost the entire series. I am holding off to the last one (Brother in Death) like it is the last piece of confectioners decadent candy after a good meal). I listen in the car and am swept away to a future of glide cars and fizzy drinks that take my mind off the here and now for a few hours.