Saturday, February 06, 2016

A Writer's Workspace.

Hey, it's Joss. 

So, I’m sitting at my desk in my office here at home, adjacent to the TV lounge and the TV is blaring because my husband has man-flu (AKA “Girly sniffles” in woman) and I’m thinking that I’d really like a sound proof office. A tidy, minimalist space where I can look out onto the ocean, decorated in whites and blues and greens, effortlessly elegant.

Tidy. Did I say that already?

The problem is that I am neither effortlessly elegant nor, to be honest, tidy. What I am is a busy mom who has some space to call her own that becomes the dumping ground for my family’s extra stuff. And a central point of collection...

Need a form signed? Dump it on my keyboard.  Need me to buy you data/ hockey togs, cardboard for a project? Grab a sticky note and plunk it on my computer. Or on my notice board.

Or, if you really want to get my attention, on my forehead. 
I'd post you a picture of my writing space but, frankly, I’m too embarrassed. My office is filled with boxes containing art stuff and electronic equipment, stationery supplies and colorful baskets. Files and hockey sticks that need new grips, clothes that need to be returned, old cushions that I keep meaning to take down to the charity shop and books, lots of books and many  dictionaries.  I have a Pilates ball I sometimes sit on when I write, a piece of driftwood I picked up off a beach on the Wild Coast and tubs full of pens, few of which work. I have a Lizzie Bennett Action Figure my agent sent me for Christmas on top of my screen and a bright orange post it note reminding me do this post.

Oh, and I frequently I have a cat on my desk as well.


This is what I want in an office…

This is what my office feels like at the moment…

But I know that next year, when both my kids are at boarding school, I’ll miss the mess. I'll miss the requests for tuck and data and cardboard or the I Love you Mommy notes I get along with the requests to sign a form. I'll miss them...

On any day of the week, I’ll take those notes and the mess  and the sick husband and the mommy stuff and over a fancy, tidy, sterile office with a view.

Happy reading and have a fabulous weekend...

With love


One kiss from the boss is all it takes! 

When producer Ryan Jackson kisses a beautiful stranger to save her from a lecherous investor, he doesn't know she's his newest employee…or that she's also his best friend's little sister all grown up. Now the only way to save his business deal is a scorching, hands-on, make-believe affair with the one woman who is absolutely off-limits. So why is he thinking more about seducing Jaci Brookes-Lyon than toeing the corporate line? When sexual ruse becomes reality, can faking it save his business and lead to love?


Amazon UK
Barnes and Noble

Joss Wood’s passion for putting black letters on a white screen is only matched by her love of books and travelling (especially to the wild places of Southern Africa) and, possibly, by her hatred of ironing and making school lunches.

Joss has written over sixteen books for the Kiss/ Modern Tempted, Presents and most recently, the Desire line.

After a career in business lobbying and local economic development, Joss now writes full time. She lives in Kwazulu- Natal, South Africa with her husband and two teenage children surrounded by family, friends, animals and a ridiculous amount of books.  

Joss is a member of the RWA (Romance Writers of America) and ROSA (Romance Writers of South Africa.)

No comments:

Post a Comment