Thursday, December 03, 2015

Writer's Wednesday - Finding Inspiration

Pink Heart Society editor, Ali Williams, is talking about finding inspiration in the most unlikely places.

November is NaNoWriMo month (or NaNoRomMo as it's known as by a group of romance writers on Facebook); a time of panicked binge-writing and wine-consumption.

Unfortunately this year, despite having been prepped to the hilt, I ended up having to take time away from blogging and writing which meant that my NaNo dreams have been left unfulfilled once more.

But I've found myself - in the post-NaNo world - looking again for inspiration, and I've found it in the most unlikely places.

Minions:  The Movie

I love films that make me laugh, and the dilly but heartwarming adventures of the yellow minions made me realise that I need more humour in my writing.

My Commute

I travel for four hours every day to get to and from work - not exactly fun - but there's one part of that journey which I love:  when my train goes over the Balcombe Aqueduct.  

It has the most incredible views and was the main inspiration for setting my novel in West Sussex in the first place.  Each time I go over it, I remember what it is that I'm trying to capture in my writing.


My job is pretty stressful right now.  I'm permanently annoyed and frustrated and it's just not making feel the way I'd like to.  And strangely enough, that's inspiration in itself; it's driving me once more to write.  To write to in part escape from the mundaneness of the day to day, but also because ultimately, it's what I'd love to do, and I can't say that if I'm not writing.

Where do you find your inspiration?  In expected or unexpected places?  Join the discussion in the comments!

Ali Williams grew up in Croydon and spent her teenage years in a convent girls’ school. She then fled to university where she discovered champagne cocktails, a capella singing and erotica.

These days she blogs about perceptions of romance, chick lit and women in society and spends the rest of her time promoting #StrongRomanceHeroines on Twitter, and cracking on with her first novel, Breakfast in Tunford.

Editor for the Pink Heart Society, guest blogger for Mills & Boon and Harper Impulse, and occasional columnist for For Books' Sake, she defies you to slam romance novels within her hearing!

No comments:

Post a Comment