Thursday, November 12, 2015

Time Out Thursday: Shrimp and Grits

Today on the Pink Heart Society, author Candace Shaw is putting on her chef’s hat and is sharing her recipe for her favorite comfort dish, shrimp and grits.
Growing up along the shores on the whitest beaches in Florida, seafood was always a main staple in our home. Having a caterer for a mother had its perks and being able to buy or catch fresh seafood less than ten minutes from my house was the other. One of my favorite dishes is shrimp and grits. It’s one of my go-to comfort foods, and I can eat it any time during the day. When I first met my husband, he was surprised and slightly apprehensive about eating shrimp and grits or even fish and grits. It was the norm for me, and I had to convince him that he’d love it too. Well, now it’s one his favorite dishes. It’s quick and easy to make. Below is my own modified version.

Ingredients You’ll Need for 2 Servings
  • 1 pound no-shell deveined medium shrimp (21-25 per pound)
  • 6 tablespoons of grits
  • 1 ½ cups of chicken broth (I use a low-sodium, organic broth)
  • 1/2 cup of whipping cream
  • ½ pound of turkey sausage or any sausage of your choice cut into small rounds (optional)
  • 1 medium bell pepper (red or green)
  • 1 small onion
  • 2 tablespoons of olive oil
  • salt and pepper to season to your liking.
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheese (your choice)
Boil the chicken broth and the whipping cream in a sauce pan. Add 6 tablespoons of instant grits. Turn down heat to low and cover.
Simmer for 15 minutes or follow the directions on your grits box for the correct amount of time for your brand of grits. While the grits are simmering, chop the onion and bell pepper or you can chop prior to cooking the grits.
Place 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Sauté the onions, bell peppers and sausage for about 5 minutes.
Add the shrimp and continue to sauté for 2 more minutes. Don’t forget to check on the grits.
Place the grits in a bowl and add the cheese on top. I usually use mozzarella because it melts very well. Place the sautéed meat and vegetable mixture on top. You can garnish with chives or parsley.
*If you wish to add garlic, add it into the sauté at the same time as you add the shrimp. Garlic burns easily.
What is your go-to comfort food? Please share with us in the comment section.
Candace Shaw is the author fun, flirty and sexy romance novels. She loves communicating with readers on social media. Follow her on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or GooglePlus. Check out her books on Her latest release with Harlequin, The Sweetest Kiss is now available.
Too tempting to resist 

Luscious, tantalizing, delectable…and that's just Tiffani Chase-Lake's cupcakes. The moment Broderick Hollingsworth sets eyes on the sexy baker herself, he's truly intrigued. For the first time, the wary real estate developer is ready to open up to someone. Then he realizes that his next business deal is going to leave Tiffani and her cozy bakery high and dry… 

Just as hardworking single mom Tiffani is falling for Broderick's easy charm, she learns about the property deal that will destroy her business. Even her most decadent dessert can't eclipse the bitter taste of betrayal. Tiffani's livelihood and her independence are on the line. Walking away from their sensual chemistry won't be easy—but is trusting him a recipe for heartache?



  1. My favorite comfort food is popcorn, especially when it's cooked on the stove.

    1. I love popcorn as well and that's exactly how my dad used to make it when I was little girl. I'm scared to try that way and stick to the microwave bags!

  2. The dish looks amazing. I regret my shrimp allergy. Chocolate is my comfort food. The best part being that I don't have to cook it. I have The Sweetest Kiss on my Kindle in queue for a read. I can't wait.

    1. Hey, Nana! I hate you have that allergy but if you have a favorite fish it goes well with grits, too. I'm actually the only girl in the world that doesn't eat chocolate or at least I don't crave it. Thank you for downloading The Sweetest Kiss. I hope you enjoy it!Q