Saturday, September 26, 2015

Weekend Wildcard - When She Was Ill...


Pink Heart Society editor, Ali Williams is talking about how she copes with the plague that is the flu...

I'm not a fan of being ill.

In fact, I pretty much hate it; the wooziness, the snot, the inability to form coherent thoughts!  I've been fairly ill over the last couple of days, and as a result I've sent emails to the wrong people, mixed up blogpost dates and genuinely been a bit of an idiot.

So how is it that I cope?

Firstly, there's the all important Netflix.  There's nothing more comforting than curling up in your pyjamas and snuggled under a duvet on the sofa, with a sitcom for the laughs, followed by a Nicholas Spark movie to sob over.

Then there's reading.  I comfort read when I'm feeling ill - I go for Georgette Heyer or Daphne du Maurier, something that's a comfortable as the oldest slippers and just as well-loved.

And then I demand cuddles when my other half gets home.

This got me thinking; why is it that we crave that which we know best when we're ill?  There's something quite comforting about having something that we can revisit and fall back on when we're at our lowest.

So how does that translate to romance?

For me, the best romance novels have heroes and heroines who hit that low point, whether it's emotionally, or because of something that's happened to them.  When this happens, they realise that alongside their favourite movies and novels, they can turn to their counterpart.

Sometime we have to hit that low point before we can truly appreciate what it is we have, and who it is that we can rely on.

And for me, that's reiterated every time my fiance brings me junk food when I'm feeling down, just like the perfect romance novel hero.

What do you do to alleviate boredom when you're ill?  And how does that change the way you think about that point of no return in romance novels?  Join the discussion in the comments!

Ali Williams grew up in Croydon and spent her teenage years in a convent girls’ school. She then fled to university where she discovered champagne cocktails, a capella singing and erotica.

These days she blogs about perceptions of romance, chick lit and women in society and spends the rest of her time promoting #StrongRomanceHeroines on Twitter, and cracking on with her first novel, Breakfast in Tunford.

Editor for the Pink Heart Society, guest blogger for Mills & Boon and Harper Impulse, and occasional columnist for For Books' Sake, she defies you to slam romance novels within her hearing!

No comments:

Post a Comment