Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Tuesday Talk-Time - Auto-Buy Authors Are My Crack

Author Heidi Rice goes all fan-girl about some of her auto-buy authors at Pink Heart Society today... And she wants to know who are yours (so she can maybe find a few more)!

I have an addictive personality and the patience of a toddler, put together this means I struggle to stop at the requisite two margaritas on a girls night out, I am currently watching three episodes of Suits a night (Harvey Specter, I love you) and I live to binge-read books. But to get my fix, I need a constant supply of fresh meat - ie: new auto-buy authors whose backlists I can hoover up at will. In short, my name is Heidi Rice and I am an auto-buy author-aholic.

So now I'm gonna show you a few of mine, if you show me yours...


The M.O.: Oh joy, this is my newest auto-buy author. Smart, kickass writing set in just-like-being-there Chicago locations, knock your socks off heroes (Decadently delish celebrity chefs? Scorchingly hot firefighters? Meader's got it covered), take-no-prisoners heroines and enough dirty sexy talk to make a bad girl like me laugh her head off.

Best Boy: A toss up for me between her bad boy British chef Jack Kilroy in Feel the Heat (Book 1 in the Hot in the Kitchen series) and smokin' hot firefighter Gage Simpson in M/M novella Melting Point (Book 1.5 in the Hot in Chicago series).

Head Girl: Picture perfect (but actually not so perfect) private events planner Cara DeLuca in All Fired Up (Book 2/Hot in the Kitchen). Uptight never felt so right... Although I have high hopes for firefighting Amazon Alex Dempsey (Book 2/Hot in Chicago, out on 29 September)

Top Quote: 'That guy's so far in the closet, he's sucking dick in Narnia.' (I did warn you)


The M.O.: I do love a good historical, as long as they're full of wit, wisdom, wise-ass dialogue, super-hot assignations, strong heroes (breeches optional), even stronger heroines and brilliant conflicts. The odd duel or kidnapping or dastardly villain never goes a miss either. Enter Ms Dare who dares to tick all those boxes and then some.

Best Boy: Dare I say her latest Castles Ever After book, When the Scot Ties the Knot, had an absolutely gorgeous hero in Scottish ex-army captain Logan Mackenzie (yup, kilts were involved). But my heart will always belong to utterly irredeemable rake Colin Payne in A Week to Be Wicked.

Head Girl: A tough one to call as all her heroines are fabulously unique and quirky and wonderfully endearing, but I did have a very soft spot for Spindle Cove maven Susanna Finch in A Night to Surrender (and surrender I did).

Top Quote: "What? You mean to travel almost 500 miles alone? No. I can't let you do that. I ... I forbid it." It was Colin's first attempt at forbidding anyone to anything, and it worked about as well as he expected it to. Which was to say, not at all. (Eat your heart out Jane Austen)


The M.O.: An academic decides to try writing a novel, she has an English nurse in 1946 fall through some standing stones in the Scottish highlands back in time to 1743 and into the arms of a young Highland rebel. Is it time-slip romance, historical fiction, sci-fi fantasy..? Who knows! And frankly who the heck cares, because Gabaldon's Outlander universe (eight doorstop novels, not to mention  bumps, companions and miscellaneous off-shoots) with its sweeping historical scope, generation spanning timeframe and ever-growing diaspora of characters is quite simply unputdownable.

Best Boy: There can only be one Jamie Fraser. And he's the man! (yes, kilts are involved again, I'm beginning to see a pattern here).

Head Girl: Clare Randall, the love of his life... Nuf said.

Top Quote: “Oh, aye, Sassenach. I am your master . . . and you're mine. Seems I canna possess your soul without losing my own.” 

So now I've told you just a few of my drugs of choice... And there are so many more - Victoria Dahl, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Linda Howard, Anna Campbell, Jane Green.... 

I want to know some of yours.  Who is it that you automatically buy, as soon as you hear about one of their new books?  Tell me in the comments!

Heidi Rice's current book is Tempting the Knight, it is out on Amazon and it's only 99c or 99p. It features a runaway supermodel, a scorching hot legal aid attorney and their lost Labor Day weekend on a Brooklyn house barge. Part of the fabulous Fairy Tales of New York series:

Once upon a time, poor little rich girl Zelda Madison wanted someone to love her, until she discovered being a badass was much more fun. Ten years after getting kicked out of convent school and torn away from her three best friends, Zelda has worked hard to clean up her act, but her wild streak has never been completely tamed and — one midnight swim on Manhattan Beach later — she’s suddenly in urgent need of a knight in shining armor…

Hard-working legal aid attorney Tyrone Sullivan is the last guy she should call. Not only does he hold a grudge when it comes to Zelda leading his little sister astray all those years ago, he’s also supremely pissed about having to rescue a runaway supermodel from a Brooklyn police station at two am. But when Ty reluctantly agrees to bust Zel out of her ivory tower and let her hide out on his house barge for a few days, she shows him the wild side he didn’t know he had.

Zel discovers there’s nothing hotter than tarnishing a good guy’s armor… Until he starts to steal her bad girl’s battered heart…

Heidi loves to hear from readers (or fellow fan girls) through her website, blog, Twitter (@HeidiRomRice) or Facebook.

12 comments:

  1. Victoria Dahl (her latest hot contemporary romance features a librarian hero who loves cunnilingus!). Kit Rocha for very erotic contemporary romance. Carolyn Jewel for both historical romance and paranormal. Sherry Thomas, Courtney Milan, Miranda Neville and Cecilia Grant for historical romance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack, error! Kit Rocha writes dystopian erotic romance, not contemporary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant SonomaLass... I am already a huge Victoria Dahl and Cecilia Grant fan (I remember that librarian!)... So will defo try out your other recommendations. You clearly have amazing taste in kick-ass romance authors. BTW have you read Kresley Cole.... She is awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To be honest, I have far more autobuy authors than my bank account would like to admit. Most of the KISS authors on the list, along with Cara McKenna, Eva Rice, Laura Kaye, Lizbeth Selvig and Codi Gary. Non-romance-wise, I suppose Ben Aaronvitch and Neil Gaimen. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eva Rice??? Well, darn will defo check her out, we might be related!

      Delete
    2. Eva Rice is AMAZING!! Her first's The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets, set in 1950s Britain and is just an absolute delight. It's filed under my kindle as "enchanting". Just simply delicious prose and plot!

      Delete
    3. Also, her dad's Tim Rice, so if you're related, that's pretty darn cool... :-P

      Delete
    4. Ah, no.. Tim Rice i think is a British Rice, I come from a long line of Irish Rices... But will check Eva out she sounds great.

      Delete
    5. Ah, I see. :P

      Do, and let me know what you think!! :)

      Delete
  6. Julie Miller is my current favorite auto-buy. Betty Neels, but I think I have all of them by now :-). I also love Elizabeth Goddard and buy the Mountain Cove books automatically. The newest ones would be Sarah Mayberry, Jackie Ashenden, Becky Wade, Betsy St. Amant, Katy Lee and Karen Rock. As you can see, my tastes are all over the place, and so are my auto-buys, but all of these ladies share a gift for strong emotion and satisfying HEAs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Jackie Ashenden... so hot and dirty! Will check out the others, love strong emotion.

      Delete