Wednesday, July 01, 2015

Writer's Wednesday - Roundabout Inspiration

Amy Ruttan is visiting the Pink Heart Society today and talking about roundabout inspiration...

I want to thank the Pink Heart Society for having me here today.

I was trying think of something to blog about, my brain is severely depleted lately due to writing three books between April and August. *silent scream*

So today I thought I would share a bit about the writing my sixth book with Harlequin Medicals, because it was a just a little bit different than my other books, but in a great way.

Taming Her Navy Doc came about in a roundabout way. When I first came up with the idea of my Navy Surgeon, well surgeons as both hero and heroine are surgeons, it was when my editor Laura asked me if I wanted to write a special theme about military.

When I pitched the idea of Taming Her Navy Doc (which had the pathetic title A Ship of Hope in the original pitch), the medical team loved it, but for the special military theme they wanted Army and they wanted Army Brothers.


That’s how It Happened in Vegas (March 2015) was born, but I still had this great Navy Surgeon pitch. Thankfully, I could save that until after I wrote It Happened in Vegas.

I came up with the idea of my hero Dr. Thorne Wilder after seeing all those beautiful Michael Stokes photos with wounded warriors, in particular Alex Minsky.

The whole story began to unfold about this brave Navy SEAL and the Naval surgeon who took his leg, but an interesting quirk to my writing is that I write to music. 

I needed a playlist.

Each book has a different playlist. Sometimes I will repeat songs, but there’s always that one song that is the background to the book. One song that I associate with each book and Taming Her Navy Doc was no different.

Skillet’s Hero was that song:

My family gets pretty sick and tired sometimes hearing songs on repeat. My DH bought me a nice set of headphones after writing this book. What he calls “hard” music is not his thing. LOL

And why did I choose the Navy? Well, I can say that goes back to a crush back I was a young girl. *cough Richard Gere cough*

Though, really I do admire all of those who serve in the military.

I’d written two Army Medics by this point and it was time for the Navy and the Navy SEALs to take centre stage.

This book was also the book I pitched that helped me get my agent.

So Taming Her Navy Doc was a book of many firsts for me in my writing career.

And that’s a bit of the backstory on writing Taming Her Navy Doc.

Oh and as another quirk I started, I create Pinterest boards to inspire me. Here’s a link to Taming Her Navy Doc’s board, which features both the North American and UK cover. Doesn’t the UK cover’s model look a lot like Princess Di?

What roundabout inspiration has hit you and how do you deal with it?  Join the debate in the comments...

Amy's latest book, Taming Her Navy Doc, is out now:

Finally the injured Navy SEAL brought to surgeon Erica Griffin in the dead of night has a name: Captain Thorne Wilder – her new commanding officer! 

Five years on he’s just as gorgeous as Erica remembers – and still totally off-limits... 

She might be as wary of relationships as he is, but fighting temptation will be the biggest battle of all...

You can find out more about Amy Ruttan at her website or follow her on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment