Sunday, July 26, 2015

Weekend Wildcard - Instant Image Inspiration

Author Jenna Kernan is sharing her six favorite Pinterest boards with the Pink Heart Society, and is talking about how she uses them in her writing and to connect with readers and fans. 

Hi all.  Jenna here to admit that I have started a lot of Pinterest boards including one for my July 1 Western Historical from Harlequin, Running Wolf.   Some of my social media is a chore but I find Pinterest relaxing, inspiring and fun.   Here are some of the boards and uses of those boards.

1.  Book Specific Board:  Running Wolf 

I used this Pinterest board to find historical shots to help with descriptions and modern photos to make the characters seem more real.  Here is a bit about my July 1 release, Running Wolf:

From the moment Snow Raven came charging in to my first scene on her white horse, I have been in love with this character.  My heroine is the daughter of a Crow chief and is bright, stoic and brave, even after being captured by her enemies.   At first she wants only to survive until she is rescued.  But when faced with the needs of her fellow captives, she grows into a warrior, forgoing her own happiness to win their freedom.

My hero, Running Wolf, is the War Chief of his Sioux tribe and an enemy to the Crow people.  Running Wolf is at first intrigued, then confounded and later fascinated by the captive, Snow Raven.  They both resist a love that will cost them all.  He must lead his people and protect them from their enemies, while she must try to bring her people home. 

2. Series Specific Boards: The Trackers series from Harlequin Nocturne

This board was far more creepy and atmospheric.  I tried to create a mood or otherworldly creatures linked to Native American myth and legend.  My characters in this series include Skinwalkers who shift from human form to bears, buffalo, wolves and even ravens.  But other supernatural spirits make appearances including Thunderbirds, Thunder Horses, The Whirlwinds, ghosts, the guardian who evaluates your soul after you die and the ruler of the Circle of Ghosts. 

3. Connecting with Readers: My Keeper Shelf

Readers who want to know what I'm currently reading can always visit my GoodReads page and follow me there.  I often run first-reads giveaways there and had two this month.  But if you want to see what's on my personal keeper shelf, you can find out on My Keeper Shelf board. 

4. Genre Specific Board:  Western Christmas

I've written a lot of Christmas novellas for Harlequin Historical including my latest  in the anthology collection Wild West Christmas and so I began pinning images of winter scenes including Christmas pictures with Western flare.  This board remains one of my fan favorites. 

5. Promotion: My Book Covers

Of course, I want readers to be able to share my beautiful book covers.  This board also includes first looks at covers and some of my unboxing, when my author copies arrive!  Boy, to I love to see these pins repinned!

6.  Laughs and Giggles: Odds and Ends board

Sometimes you just need a laugh.  That's why I created this board.  Here I've collected things that make me laugh, smile or book-related items that I love.  My newest favorite is the sign in a library parking lot that reads, "Library Parking Only.  Violators will be held in low esteem."

7. Secret Boards

Shhh!  This board is secret, a collection for my own use while I am writing my newest series, my first romantic suspense for Harlequin Intrigue.  I'm giving readers a peek of the images of Apache people I'm pinning for Apache Protectors.  This board is not viewable to my fans yet, but it will be soon. 

Here is a tiny, tiny, teaser for book one, Shadow Wolf (December 2015):

She aids illegals and he apprehends them but when this humanitarian pacifist witnesses a cartel killing in the Sonora Dessert, she becomes this Apache lawman’s only witness.
So, there are seven ways I use Pinterest.  I hope you’ll follow one of my boards.  Here are some other ways to connect with me.

So that's what I'm doing with Pinterest.  I'd love to hear what other authors and readers like to pin or more about the topic of your boards.  I'm offering a signed copy of one of my backlist titles drawn randomly from your comments. 

Jenna's latest book, Running Wolf, is out now:

Rival Tribes...

Running Wolf is a valiant Sioux warrior. During his first raid as war chief, he captures a surprising Crow enemy--a woman! This spirited fighter is unlike any he's ever met. Her beauty and audacity are entrancing, but threaten his iron resolve...

...Rival Passions

Snow Raven must focus on freeing herself, not on the man who keeps her captive. But as she falls deeper under Running Wolf's spell, she realizes he is herwarrior--and she'll risk everything for him!

For more details about Jenna's stories, visit her EXTRAS page, subscribe to her newsletter on her website, visit her Facebook page and follow her on Twitter.


  1. I'll have to take a look at the links you posted.

    alysap AT yahoo DOT com

  2. Well, be careful. Visiting Pinterest can be like entering a time vortex, but I love it! Here's my Pinterest home: