Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Tuesday Talk-Time - Life at my new job and how much I miss being able to read!

Desere Steenberg, Pink Heart Society regular, is talking about the imposition of work onto her reading time...

I use to work from a home office, with my own space, my hours ( which usually meant me working from 7 am till 3 am the next day, because leaving something till the next day is just not my style).

But after careful consideration and my body simply not being able to keep up anymore, I decided it was time for a new challenge. I still do the odd little bit of work for myself like I use to, but it is so little I am able to fit it in , in under an hour in the mornings.

I was really excited about being able to work from 9 till 5 , like regular people do ( or at least that’s what Dolly Parton always says) . But what I completely forgot to take into account is my usual two hour break in the afternoons.

I used those two hours to sit back and enjoy a cup of tea, a muffin and a good book. It’s the kind of pick me up that I needed to make it till the 3 am, because of the line of work I did I craved that little bit of happiness to block out the sadness I had to deal with.

Then I started my new job, and oh, oh, I no longer have those precious two hours to read.  Of course my new job involves making people happy, and I mean really happy because it’s a huge milestone for them, so I will be the first one to say I don’t crave the seeking of happiness from a book anymore to counter sadness.

But darnit I still want my happy endings every day, and sadly I am just not getting them anymore. I have to instead wait till the weekend, but there are so many other day to day things to take care of on a weekend that even then I just don’t find the time.

So it comes down to literally only being able to sit down and read one book a week on a Sunday after church.  It is a complete and utterly frustrating new adjustment for me and I am yet to find a way to handle the truly horrible loss.

Tell us in the comments : What about you? Have you ever had a schedule change that greatly affected your reading time and how did it make you feel?

To find out more about Desere, you can read her romance reviews on Romance Book Haven, and follow her on Twitter or Facebook.

1 comment:

  1. Scheduling change could be one of the hardest to adapt to. Once you’ve gotten so used to your usual schedule that any single change will ruin the flow of it. However, if the change is really for the better, like in your case, you should be able to force your body clock to move itself in conjunction to your newly adjusted work schedule. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience!

    Celine Goodson @ RMS Recruitment