Thursday, July 16, 2015

Time Out Thursday - Pianoing

Pink Heart Society editor, Ali Williams, is talking about her love of music, and particularly of the piano.

I love music.

It's something which I'd argue (rightly or wrongly) is built into my DNA, but I've been pretty lucky.

Growing up, I learnt the piano, the clarinet and even had singing lessons.  Plus, there's four kids in my family, each of us playing at least two instruments, so you can imagine that my parents never had a moment's peace.

But then I headed to university and, to my absolute horror, discovered that I wasn't allowed to play any of the pianos on site.  And so began a drought of music.  Living out, we didn't have a piano, and when I moved back home straight after uni, I was so exhausted from teacher training that I didn't have the energy to play.

Years passed..  The fiance and I moved into a flat and a flat means no music - no-one wants to be that nightmare neighbour.

And then came last weekend.

My fiance's been teaching himself the guitar so we popped into the local music shop to look at some music, and my eye got caught by their digital pianos.

I've always felt a bit weird about digital pianos in the past, but there was one particular one which was gorgeous.  It had weighted keys that weren't so shiny that your fingers slid all over the place, and the sound seemed perfect.  

I fell in love.  It was like drinking nectar after a long drought; and the moment my fingers touched the keys I felt calm - which is a feat of great wonder in itself.

So we invested.  Cue one week later, I can be found sat at our new piano, headphones plugged, playing to my heart's content.

It's also made such a huge difference to me.  I'm able to fully immerse myself in music, which I've missed for so long.  Plus, he bought a book of Ed Sheeran songs that I've been teaching myself.

Do you have a hobby that you've picked up again after some time?  Or are you as big a fan of pianos?  Join the discussion in the comments!

Ali Williams grew up in Croydon and spent her teenage years in a convent girls' school. She then fled to university where she discovered champagne cocktails, a capella singing and erotica.

These days she blogs about perceptions of romance, #StrongRomanceHeroines and women in society, and spends the rest of her time sat at her brand new writing desk, cracking on with her first novel Breakfast in Tunford.

No comments:

Post a Comment