Saturday, June 13, 2015

Weekend Wildcard - Foot Shooting

The Pink Heart Society's delighted to welcome back Amy Andrews as she talks about shooting herself (metaphorically) in the foot...

I think if I ever go in a pageant (like, you know, in some weird dream or alternate universe) and have to fess up to my one true “skill” it’s going to have to be the ability to shoot myself in the foot. Over and over again. Particularly where my writing career is concerned.

Whilst writing medical category romances for Harlequin I was also writing and trying to get published in chick lit/contemporary romance in the “dead” years. Chick lit is dead! Actually, it was worse than that, it was chick lit is a poisoned chalice. Chick lit - the genre that shall not be named! 

Write paranormal they said – we can’t get enough of paranormal! 

Did I have a paranormal anything in my head? Nope. I’m a contemporary girl. I’m not even a fan of Supernatural (yes I know this makes me a disgrace to women everywhere). There was not one single woo-woo cell in my body. And my muse could not be swayed. My muse was not amused!

And then two years ago Joy Valentine walked into my head. An ex-hillbilly punk rocker turned cadaver make-up artist who refuses to be called a psychic because she only ever-so- occasionally sees a ghost. 

Fabulous! Except I had no clue how to write that story. Oh and yes, just for giggles, paranormal was now dead. I was a decade behind the curve. Go me!

Another way of shooting myself in the foot as an author was to write a book no one can shelve anywhere cos its some weird kind of parnormal-lite/rom-com/urban noir/murder/mystery/suspense mash up with P.I’s and hookers and horny goldfish. 

Oh yes, cross genre books are such fun to classify! And hell to explain. Because you pretty much put every reader off side. Anybody who doesn’t like any one of those elements is probably going to keep on walking by even if they’ve loved your other stuff. Even if it’s still just you. With hookers.

Another go me move! 

But, like all skills if I perfect it well enough maybe my aim will get better and I’ll stop getting my foot and start hitting some bullseyes! Maybe….

What about you? Ever shot yourself in the foot (figuratively) over something? And did it work out in the end or did you just end up in the E.R?

Amy's latest book, Limbo, is available now:

When ex hillbilly-punk rocker turned cadaver make-up artist Joy Valentine is visited by the ghost of a high-profile murder victim begging for Joy’s help to find her kidnapped baby girl, Joy knows from experience the cops are going to think she’s crazy. So she takes it to the one guy she knows who won’t.

The last thing disgraced ex-cop turned PI Dash Dent expected is a woman from his past turning up to complicate his present with a nutty, woo-woo story. The problem is he knows Joy is telling the truth and he can’t ignore the of the baby whose disappearance transfixed the nation.

Discounted and discredited by the police, Dash and Joy work together to uncover the mystery and find Isabella, with a whacky supporting cast including Eve, a brothel madam; Stan, an excommunicated priest; Katie, Dash’s ten-year-old daughter; and two horny goldfish. It’s a race against time and against all odds – but the real battle for Dash and Joy might just be keeping their hands off each other.

For more information about Amy Andrews and her writing exploits, check out her website, subscribe to her newsletter and follow her on Facebook and Twitter.

2 comments:

  1. Amy, I love your books - and your definition of them as Urban Family romances. I think your problem is being ahead of the curve, not behind it :)
    Laura Boon Russell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww! thanks so much Laura! I'm really not sure that's true but eventually, maybe...... 😄

      Delete