Sunday, May 03, 2015

Writer's Workspace - Kate James

The Pink Heart Society is delighted to welcome Kate James as she talks us through her different writing workspaces...

The topic of this post is a writer’s workspace. I am frequently asked where I do most of my writing. The answer is simple. Where my laptop is! But to say that would not make for a very interesting post, and would be 496 words short of the length that was suggested for this piece. So, let me explain.

First of all, where I write is partially weather dependent. 

I love the outdoors, thus if Mother Nature is cooperating, I will take my laptop outside.  Whether it’s at our house or our cottage, my husband and I are fortunate to have some truly stunning views. One of my favorite spots to write is the gazebo in the backyard of our house. You can probably appreciate why this view would be inspiring. 

Often my “critique team,” black Labs Harley and Logan, join me, as they did when this picture was taken.

Another favorite spot is a guest room at our cottage. One of my yet unpublished books, Everything to Gain, provides a perfect example of what I refer to as fictionalizing facts. 

In Everything to Gain, after a personal tragedy, communications executive Blake Meadows retreats to a lakefront cabin in the Adirondacks and decides to see if she can fulfill her lifelong dream of writing a novel.   

She sets up her “writing room” in a guest suite overlooking her lake.  

Blake’s writing room is based on the guest suite at our cottage. I wrote most of my debut novel, Silver Linings, in this room. 

Finally, when winter weather hits, I like to write in my office at home. Especially when the snow is falling, I love to curl up in a comfortable recliner facing the fireplace with my laptop actually on my lap. As you can see in this picture, my trusted critique team is again close by, even if they are less engaged! Although not an outside view, this is still one of my all-time favorites.

To conclude, I can write just about anywhere and anytime. I love to write almost as much as I love to read. 

What is it about writing that I love, and enough so to have left a job I truly enjoyed? 

It is knowing that there are people who chose to spend their limited and valuable leisure time reading my work. It means a great deal to me when a reader reaches out to me to let me know they enjoyed what I wrote. Sincere thanks to all my readers for enabling me to fulfill my dream!  

Now I have a question for you. Where do you feel most creative? One person leaving a comment will be selected at random to win a copy of my latest release, The Truth About Hope. Thank you for visiting The Pink Heart Society blog, and happy reading!

Kate’s The Truth About Hope, has just been released and is available in print and e-book formats:

Who is Hope Wilson? 

Is she the girl her former hometown thinks she is? Or the girl Luke Carter once loved—and maybe still does? 

When Hope returns to Canyon Creek, Texas, to honor her father's last wishes, there's only one person on her mind: her high school sweetheart, Luke. The boy she lied to when she had to leave Canyon Creek as a teen, finding it easier to hide what she really felt than deal with the grief of loss. Her father's fortune could make a big difference to Canyon Creek—but Hope finds that the townspeople have a long memory when it comes to his misdeeds. With a plan to make amends on his behalf, Hope learns the truth about herself. And the truth about love.

 
Learn more about Kate and her books on her website, her Facebook page or follow her on Twitter.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for hosting me on your blog, ladies!

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. kitchen

    alysap AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit I sometimes park myself at the kitchen table, too!

      Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
  3. After my youngest moved out, I allowed a short time for mourning having an empty nest until I realized that also meant...an empty bedroom! I quickly repainted and filled the room with bookcases, my desk and a table with 2 cat beds for 'my' critique team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a silver lining to everything, Carol! I bet you have a beautiful works space, and there's nothing that compares to having your furry, four-legged critique team nearby.

      Thank you for visiting, and have a great day!

      Delete
  4. I occupied the "empty space" office until my writing and sewing habits outgrew it. Now I have a big space in the office and am almost always here. Nice pictures, Kate. Don't enter me--the book's already on my admittedly really high TBR Kindle pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Liz. My office is where I do the least writing, probably because my desk and reclining chair face away from the window. I do favor it in the winter, though, when I can sit by the fire!

      Delete