Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Writer's Wednesday - Finding Your Groove

Pink Heart Society editor, Ali Williams, is talking about how to find your writing groove.

Finding your writing groove is difficult.

It's taken me nearly five years to find my way through the writing jungle, and I truly believe that there is no right or wrong way to write.

So here are a handful of different ways to approach writing, if you're having trouble getting your latest book latest book off the ground:

The Unplugger.  I know any number of writers who find that in order to write a first draft successfully, they have to completely unplug.  They can't write and type because they simply find that they either get too distracted by the internet, or they over edit.

The Scener.  These writers find themselves writing their novel out of order - compiling scenes and piecing them together after they've all been written - often out of order.

The key thing here is the fact that it's the moments they can't get out of their head, that kickstart the story, as they need to know how the characters got there, and what they'll do after.

The Director.  This approach mainly consists of seeing the plot unfold in your head, and then recreating the mini-film you had playing on the page.  

This is a great way to get the first draft written, but make sure that you build on internal character conflict (and even internal monolgues) in future drafts, as films often only do this in voiceover mode.

The Sit-Down-and-Writer.  This is when you force yourself to sit and write every day; no matter how awful the result.  

This approach focuses on the individual's dedication and if - like me - you can be a little flaky when you hit a tough spot in your manuscript, this might not be the best approach for you.  

On the other hand, making writing into an ingrained habit like this can only be a good thing.

The Short-Burster.  Forget spending hours and hours slaving over your notes - these writers spend a fixed amount of time writing, and then stop.  

There are arguments that having such a short period of time (whether that's half an hour, or an hour) means that you can really focus and you don't waste what little time you have in that session by procrastinating.

The Write-and-Hider.  This is the approach that I've been taking recently.  I take my notebook, and handwrite a section until I'm written out.  Then I type it up, making a few small tweaks as I go, and then close the document on my computer.  I then handwrite again.  

The key thing about this is the fact that I don't go back and edit.  

I may not necessarily be happy with what I've written previously (I know I'm not - leaving this current draft be is going to kill me!!), but this means I can't dwell on it.  I have to move on and keep writing.

What kind of a writer are you?  Do you have a specific writing groove that you use?  Join the discussion in the comments!

Ali Williams grew up in Croydon and spent her teenage years in a convent girls' school. She then fled to university where she discovered champagne cocktails, a capella singing and erotica.

These days she blogs about perceptions of romance, #StrongRomanceHeroines and women in society, and spends the rest of her time sat at her brand new writing desk, cracking on with her Tunford Trilogy (affectionately referred to as the Sussex Shaggers).

Passionately vocal about the wonders of romance, Ali defies you to slam romance novels within her hearing!

No comments:

Post a Comment