Sunday, May 24, 2015

Weekend Wildcard - Refilling the Creative Well and Brainstorming

We're delighted to welcome Rachael Thomas back to the Pink Heart Society as she's talking about creativity and keeping going.

I’m really excited to have been invited back to The Pink Heart Society and thought I’d talk about how I try and keep my creativity flowing.

Writing romance is my passion, something I love doing. During the eight years I was writing in hope of one day being published, one thing I realised was that time away from my desk and the story I was writing was important. It gave me the thinking space that is required.

Creativity is a well of enormous depth, but it does need refilling or topping up. Time out, be it an hour for a walk or a week’s holiday, is so important. Some of my favourite things to do are either a walk along the country lanes or a few hours at one of the beaches nearby.

I soon realised that with deadlines I can’t always sneak off for an hour or so at the beach as I have to write and that there is nothing better than a weekend away with other writers. It’s another enjoyable way of taking timeout and getting away from my desk and the constant demands of life on a farm yet still work on my latest book. At the cottage we combine time to write with time to walk and enjoy the countryside, talk about our writing, books we’ve read or even watch a movie.

There’s nothing better than talking through your story with someone who understands and that someone is of course, another writer. Time spent brainstorming ideas and characters and discussing conflicts and motivations is for me, essential to my writing. It’s what prevents me becoming so fixed on one idea I can’t see past it to other, more exciting ideas. It’s a way of testing my characters, their problems and how they deal with them.

Craving Her Enemy’s Touch, my latest Harlequin Presents release, is a story that was born at one such weekend and the dedication in it is to the two writers, Ruth and Sarah Jane, who shared that weekend with me. I arrived at the beginning of that particular weekend with the idea of the story and a first chapter. 

After the brainstorming session I went home knowing exactly where the story should go and full of enthusiasm to keep writing until I got to the HEA ending.

The cottage, a place I’ve been to several times, is set in the heart of Wales with lovely walks through woodland or somewhat tougher walks to higher ground, where you are rewarded with amazing views, even if you are out of breath! Both are perfect walks to clear the mind after a morning of writing or to ponder problems you’ve run into.

What is your favourite way of taking time out? I’d love to know and maybe even add it to my list of things to do.

I have a signed hardback UK edition of Craving Her Enemy’s Touch to give away. Just leave your comment to be in with a chance.


Rachel's latest book, Craving Her Enemy's Touch, is out now:


The only man she hates… 

Captivating king of the racing circuit, Sandro Roselli might send Charlotte Warrington's pulse into overdrive, but he's also hiding something about her brother's death. Sandro has offered her a job, but Charlotte will make sure she's in the driver's seat to uncover his secret. 

Is the only man she can't resist! 

Yet life in the fast lane with Sandro is dangerous. As Charlotte's craving for his touch intensifies, she begins to lose herself in his intoxicating world. The irresistible Italian is driving her senses crazy, but can their heady affair survive the dark truth he hides?

For more information about Rachael Thomas, check out her website and blog, or follow her on Twitter and Facebook.

12 comments:

  1. Rachael, congrats on your success with Presents! I know you've earned it and I'm glad you've found ways to keep the creative well replenished because I want to be able to read your wonderful books for years to come.

    I'm much like you, I find walking, reading or watching a favorite movie as all part of the creative process. I don't have the wonderful scenery you do for walks but I think it's the act of walking that helps the creative part of my brain. If I get really desperate I've been known to vacuum the rugs or clean a bathroom. That usually gets the juices flowing! I much prefer writing to cleaning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol, thanks for stopping by and the lovely comments on my books. Walking is really good for the creative process and like you, I have been known to attack the housework sometimes as a way of making thinking time - but writing is so much better! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your success with Presents, it's one of my favorite lines with Harlequin. One of my favorite ways to "get away" is to just lock myself in my room and read! But as far as vacations go, I love to go to the mountains of Gatlinburg, TN. I am not much of a beach person, I will go, because my niece and nephews like to go, but give me a cabin in the mountains, a good book to read, and I'm in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pam. A cabin in the mountains sounds wonderful. Maybe I will do that one day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good reminder, thanks, Rachael. Started swimming again, Pilates and walks across the wonderful park near us, with views across much of Edinburgh up to the Castle. Trying to fit writing in between catering to two teens and a growing amount of day job is challenging and that's both down time and time to think. I love the look of your cottage, though! Maggie Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that challenge well Maggie! Sounds like you need to find a nice little cottage too.

      Delete
  7. Big congratulations on your continued success with Harlequin Presents! Your weekend away with other writers sounds like a dream come true. I'm experiencing writing with a deadline for the first time (at least, an official, editor given deadline), and in the last round, I was climbing the walls from having to sit for hours and write without being able to get away from my desk except to go to work.

    Usually, I like going for walks. Where I live, there are parks and trails everywhere that allow me to get out and breathe fresh air. I love reading books in other genres/subgenres and cooking as well. When I'm pressed for time, like now, I build in 10-15 minute break times where I do something else (start a load of laundry, heat up a frozen meal, troll the internet) about every hour. If I'm in a writing groove, I may go a little longer without a mini-break. This lets my mind rest a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mini breaks are a good idea Mz.ZeyZey and just the thing when you are on a deadline. Good luck!

      Delete
  8. Blogging with my romance book friends, of course! Other than that, I watch tapes of my favourite shows, go for walks with friends, and play tons of competitive badminton!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, competitive badminton! What a great idea. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. The winner of my book is Mz.ZeyZey. If you can contact me on twitter @rachaeldthomas or via my website with your address that would be great.

    ReplyDelete