Thursday, May 14, 2015

Time Out Thursday - From My Desk to Yours

The Pink Heart Society is delighted to be taking time out with Joss Wood to say thank you...


So, on my last post I wrote for the PHS blog, I waxed, not very lyrically, about what you shouldn’t say to writers. This time around, I’d like to write a couple of words about what I would like to say to say friends and readers and the general book reading public. 

This also comes hot on the heels of my reading, very unhappily about pushy authors and how authors can buy reviews to boost ratings and a few other articles about the ugly side of publishing. 

I don’t like ugly and I don’t like dishonesty . I believe in what I do and I intend to do it with love and passion and integrity. I believe that it’s damn hard work and I know that there are no short cuts. Every time someone spends their money on my book and then spends their time with my characters is a privilege that I do not take lightly.

So, from my desk—and my heart—to yours…. 

I’d like to say thank you to the people who are interested in what I do and the questions they ask. And really, it’s okay if romance and my type of books is not your thing. Sci-fi and history aren’t mine so each to their own. Please don’t feel that, if you know me, that you have to read my books. It’s not a condition of our friendship, I respect your right not to. 

If you are my friend and you read my book and hated it, it's okay. No worries. I don’t like every book I read so I know that mine are going to be hit and miss too. 

(Oh, and if you are my mother or my mother-in-law or anybody above the age of sixty-five and you know me, you are banned from reading my books entirely!)

If you are a reader and spend your time and money on my book and you loved it…you are a person of exquisite taste! 

Joking aside, thank you. 

You are the reason my butt is in a chair and my fingers are that the keyboard day after day, year after year. If you left a review, thank you. If you didn’t, that’s ok too. My job is to write the best book I can, your job is too read it…nowhere in that contract is a clause about writing a review. 

If you spent time and money on my book and you hated it…I’m sorry that I wasn’t to your taste. I do hope you’ll give another of my books a try before you write me off completely. 


If you are a fellow writer…nobody knows what this life is like except us. We know how hard, relentless, sometimes unrewarding and lonely this life can be. We know how high the highs can be and how fantastic it feels when we’re riding that wave. But high or low, I will always be standing in your corner cheering you on. 


Have you ever seen the ugly side of publishing?  And do you have people that you always want to thank for help with your writing?  Join the discussion in the comments!

In March, Joss's latest book, Her Boss by Day, was released in the US under Harlequin Presents. It’s Book One of the continuity Sydney’s Most Eligible:


His accountant by day… 

After a devastating breakup, Willa Moore-Fisher is determined to prove herself. With an honors degree, she's certainly got the talent. So when international fitness tycoon Rob Hanson needs a new accountant Willa can't believe her luck. There's just one problem: she already knows her new boss…intimately! 

His mistress by night! 

Brooding bachelor Rob doesn't do long-term—watching his stepfather destroy his family sealed that fate. Willa might have a head for numbers, but she has a body made for sin. Soon Rob finds himself wondering if he should make his new temp a more permanent fixture in his life! 


The other books in the series are also by PHS columnists:

Book 2: The Millionaire’s Proposition by Avril Tremayne
Book 3: The Tycoon’s Stowaway by Stefanie London
Book 4: The Hotel Magnate’s Demand by Jennifer Rae

To find out more about Joss Wood, you can visit her website and follow her on Facebook or Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment