Monday, May 11, 2015

Male on Monday - Three of My Favourites from the Silver Screen

Pink Heart Society regular, Jennifer Hayward, is talking about her favourite filmic heroes...

Recently I was asked to write a post for the USA Today HEA column on my favourite wedding movies. It got me thinking for this month's Male on Monday post. 

Sometimes I love a hero in a movie I wouldn't normally pick as my 'thing' because of the character they portray in the film. Sometimes I'd love them no matter who or what they played, because they are just that hot - eg: Clark Gable. 

But what I can say about the three I've picked to share with you this week is I fell madly in love with them - all of them very different men – for the spirit they possessed beyond their good looks. Each had that magical je ne sais quoi. So without further ado here they are

For those of you who know me, you'll know I have this thing for the movie Rocky. Not the second, third and fourth etc! The first, the original that Sylvester Stallone wrote the screenplay for in longhand and wouldn't relinquish until he was allowed to play the down-and-out Rocky Balboa himself. 

If you haven't seen this movie, you must. It is a story of the triumph of the human spirit when everyone has written you off, including yourself. When all a boxer wants to do is last fifteen rounds in the ring with the world champion. Rocky doesn’t win and yet he achieves more than anyone thought humanly possible in going the distance with Apollo Creed. 

It was one of the few movies where I didn't care if the protagonist wins - because it’s not about winning – it’s about not giving up on yourself, pushing yourself far past what you think you’re capable of, because we humans are capable of so much more than we think we are. So in essence, in almost beating Apollo Creed, Rocky does win. 

The love story between Rocky and Adrian stole my heart - it's so utterly raw and amazing. The last scene where he's still standing, bleeding profusely and calling her name over and over again will be forever imprinted in my memory. As will this scene as Rocky trains on the Philadelphia Art Museum steps he made famous.

Second up is Mr. Rhett Butler himself – Clark Gable. From the minute he walks on the set of Gone With The Wind, one of my favourite movies of all time, set against the backdrop of the American Civil War, we love the wicked Rhett. His dry wit as he observes Scarlett’s machinations is fabulous as is his black sheep, rebellious persona that makes him dangerously sexy. His and Scarlett’s romance is far from perfect, but we know he’s the only man capable of handling the wilful Scarlett and they are perfect together!

And finally Christopher Plummer in The Sound of Music. Who wouldn’t fall for the gorgeous widowed Captain Von Trapp and his brood of talented, mischievous children? The Captain and Maria’s romance is set up so perfectly with his impending marriage to a baroness he doesn’t love. To watch him in the parallel scenes with Maria who he is clearly falling in love with is so wonderful. You can almost see them falling for each other in so many of those moments. The stiff, rigid hero is also one of my favourites because it’s so fun to see him fall. Oh and a man in uniform, of course!

There they are – three massively different heroes I adore! I’d love to know, who are your favourite leading men?

To find out more about Jennifer and her books, you can visit her website or find her on Facebook and Twitter.

You can read an excerpt from Jennifer Hayward's June Harlequin Presents release, the first of her Tenacious Tycoons duo, Tempted by her Billionaire Boss, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment