Friday, May 08, 2015

Friday Fun - What A Difference a Picture Makes...

Barb Han is back at the Pink Heart Society, talking about the difference one picture made...

The idea for Texas Prey, book one in the Mason Ridge series, came to me when I saw a picture of an ominous-looking beaten down shed standing alone in the woods. That image started my mind spinning and I began to wonder about the secrets held in that shed. In my mind’s eyes, I saw a little girl (maybe twelve years old) and her little brother (maybe seven) being held in that shed against their will.

Being a parent of three children, the thought of writing this story absolutely terrified me. I think all parents agree that a scenario like this is the stuff of worst nightmares. But the image wouldn’t leave me alone and I felt drawn to tell this story from the point-of-view of the girl who had survived, who was now a woman. I knew right away that she’d have trust issues. But I had more thinking to do.

To complicate things further, I write romantic suspense. Happy endings are guaranteed. And I wondered…how could anything good come of a situation like that?
Then the questions came…

What if she escaped and her brother didn’t?

What if authorities never found her brother?

What if she was in charge of babysitting her little brother that night?

What if this was all her fault (or at least that’s what she’ll believe)?

How far would she go to uncover the truth of what had happened to her brother?

There were so many questions about the past that I needed answers to. Fast forward to today when the story begins…and the kidnapper is back to finish the job.
She needed someone to lean on, someone from her past who she could absolutely trust and quite possibly the only person in her world that she could rely on. And that gave me the hero for the story. He’s ex-military turned rancher and he was her first and only love.

For this to work, the two had to have built a bond before her trust was shattered by the events that had unfolded on that hot summer night in Texas. They’d have to work together to find answers and discover what had happened to her baby brother all those years ago before the abductor attacked again.

And that’s how Texas Prey began.

I’d like to hear from you. How do you tackle projects that scare the bejeezus out of you?

Texas Prey, Barb's upcoming release, will be available in stores August 18th and online retailers September 1st. It is now available for pre-order, and we have the first look at the cover here:
The hunted becomes the hunter as the past threatens a small Texas town once again…

Rancher Brody Fields stops cold when he receives a plea for help from Rebecca Hughes. The onetime love of his life, who was abducted along with her brother fifteen years ago, now believes the kidnapper has returned to tie up loose ends. Rebecca needs Brody’s help bringing the kidnapper—or killer—to justice.

For Brody, the job is risky, but the real danger is their unexpected Texas-sized attraction. As they uncover answers to difficult—and deadly—questions, Brody has a question of his own: Can he trust the woman who once shattered his heart?

You can find out more about Barb Han's writing on her website and Goodreads. Follow her on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest for regular updates and pretty pics!


  1. Barb, this looks like another one of your great books and I am so looking forward to reading it.

    1. Hi, Mary! Thank you so much for your kind words and for stopping by. You just made my day!!

  2. Barb, your new book sounds fantastic, and I've been really looking forward to this one! I think projects that scare the bejeezus out of you often turn out to be the most powerful, because they force you to tackle the hard issues and choices with your characters. Now, a question for you...are you writing? Because I want more books! :)

    1. Thank you so much, Elizabeth! Ha! You got me. I've been writing today! :-) You make an excellent point about scary projects sometimes becoming the most powerful stories. There were definitely tears and chills at very different moments throughout the writing of this story!

  3. Sounds like a great book! Looking forward to reading it.

    1. Thank you so much, Carol! I hope you enjoy!!