Friday, April 17, 2015

Friday Fun: Poldark frenzy

Poldark is currently on its penultimate episode in the UK but is just starting elsewhere in the world. Harlequin Historical author Michelle Styles investigates the frenzy it is causing.

Sunday nights in the Styles household are currently dominated by Poldark. I enjoy it and my dh...well he makes Cornish noises and talks about pilchard and pasty mines.  I think he enjoys it but I am not certain. My daughter informed me that a number of her friends have an absolute 9 pm ban on a Sunday. 

I had to laugh when in conversation with several different friends, they also reported their respective dh's lapsing into bad Cornish accents while the programme is on. However I am not certain how popular references to pilchard or pasty mining are. Apparently they were spared those comments but did not want to tell their dh's about it for fear of it being inflicted.

The series just started in Australia and is due to start in New Zealand next week. It starts in the US in June and the rights have been bought in Canada and elsewhere.

Memories of the last time Poldark appeared on television linger. Robin Ellis became hugely ppoular and there are some who refuse to watch the current series as they do not spoil their memories of Ellis. In the current series, Ellis plays the judge who clashes with Poldark.


Poldark  mania has spawned a number of things, including magazine articles about the Magic of Poldark in My Weekly and the art of recreating scenes with playmobil. If you have not had a chance to see the Play Cornwall site, it is a must.  Unfortunately Playmobil do not actually seem to do Poldark figures yet but... (My daughter was upset about this as she thought  she had one of her friend's birthday presents sorted.) 


There is a newish catch phrase from the Poldark servants -- It ain't right, it ain't and it ain't proper which covers a multitude of sins.

And Aidan Turner is now true totty (sex symbol in case the slang isn't clear) in the UK. Recently there was a Q&A on twitter with Aidan Turner about his character. It rapidly descended into chaos as various women posted things about scything and mining. Cue a debate about the objectification of men. Unsurprisingly there are some women who don't care what the plot is as long as Turner takes off his top or wears tight trousers, preferably both.
However for those who are of a less shallow turn, the series is well done. And beyond Turner, there are many characters to care about. The character arc of Elizabeth, Poldark's first love is fascinating to watch. And Poldark's spinster cousin Verity and her thwarted love affair with a sea captain is great. Then there is Demelza, Poldark's rescued servant whom he eventually marries. She lights up the screen.

The series has been renewed for next season. Books 3 and 4 will be covered. Turner signed a contract which committed him to five series so fingers crossed for more.

I suspect in due course, the historical romance market will reflect the renewed interest in the late Georgian period on both sides of the Atlantic. It is also good to see a focus on gentry and the country, rather than the rarefied air of London. And the way Turner plays Poldark brings new depth to brooding hero. He is not sullen but charming.

Do yourself a favour and watch when it comes on. It gets better as the weeks go by.

Is anyone else pleased that there will be more Poldark to come?

Michelle Styles writes warm, witty and intimate historical romance in a wide range of time periods. Her next novel Summer of the Viking will be published in June 2015.
 You can learn more about Michelle on her newly revamped website (www.michellestyles.co.uk )


6 comments:

  1. I think delirious is the word I would use, rather than pleased. I've loved Poldark forever and am an absolute mess over it, even though we've only seen 2 episodes in Australia. But what episodes they were...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't be more pleased that another series is going to be made. Will have to buy the dvd of this series while I wait for the next installments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything about Poldark is amazing! It's the best historical romance I've ever seen. Aidan Turner is the romantic hero personified and Eleanor Tomlinson's Demelza is pure genius. I'm in the US so I had the extreme pleasure of early viewing. I'm positive Poldark will make well deserved stars of these two actors.What a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything about Poldark is amazing! It's the best historical romance I've ever seen. Aidan Turner is the romantic hero personified and Eleanor Tomlinson's Demelza is pure genius. I'm in the US so I had the extreme pleasure of early viewing. I'm positive Poldark will make well deserved stars of these two actors.What a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything about Poldark is amazing! It's the best historical romance I've ever seen. Aidan Turner is the romantic hero personified and Eleanor Tomlinson's Demelza is pure genius. I'm in the US so I had the extreme pleasure of early viewing. I'm positive Poldark will make well deserved stars of these two actors.What a treat!

    ReplyDelete