Saturday, March 21, 2015

The #3Amigas - Once a Storyteller, Always a Storyteller

Today Amber Page, one of the Pink Heart Society's #3Amigas, is telling us about how it doesn't matter what life throws at her - she'll always be a storyteller...

After I finished Dating the Enemy, I seriously considered quitting this whole novel-writing business.

My brain was burnt to a crisp. I wasn’t sure if I’d ever have another idea worth committing to paper, errrr, computer screen. And honestly, even if one appeared, I wasn’t sure it was worth the effort.

(Side note: I was also suffering from a pretty severe bout of depression).

I didn’t write another word for months.  
But you know what? As soon as I stopped searching for story ideas, they started seeking me out. Storylines came to me at the least likely times—while I was reading to my daughter, or presenting materials in a meeting, or cooking dinner.

They were quite insistent little buggers, too. If I tried to ignore them, they’d just reappear at an even more inconvenient time.

To get some peace, I created a Google doc to serve as a repository for them. Every time an idea occurred to me, I’d scrawl it down and attempt to forget about it.

That worked. For a while.

But shortly before Christmas, an entire story took shape in my brain. Before I knew it, I had an entire novel plotted out in that fragmented document.

I couldn’t help but get excited. My brain felt like it was on fire. I knew I had to start writing again and planned to get serious after the New Year.  
But you know what they say? About what happens when you’re busy making plans?

In my case, it wasn’t just life. It was a stupid fall in my own house that left me with a severe concussion. A traumatic brain injury, if you will.
I couldn’t work. Couldn’t write. Heck, I couldn’t even read. When I looked at words on a page, all I saw were unrecognizable wiggly lines.

It was terrifying.

For the next little while, I found myself banned from computers, television, books, even phones. I was supposed to lie around with my eyes closed and try not to think.

Have you ever tried not to think? It’s impossible.
Left with nothing to do and no way to entertain itself, my brain made its own movies. Some were romances, others were epic fantasies, and then there were those weird daydreams starring Robert Downey, Jr…

That’s when I realized that I no longer have any choice in the matter.

I am a storyteller, whether I like it or not. I can try not to write my stories down, but then I’ll probably just go crazy and end up writing weird tales on the walls of my padded white room.

I may never be published again (although I sure hope I am, and soon), I’m looking forward to opening up my Scrivener and starting my next novel just as soon as I can.

It’s what I was put on this planet to do. 
Do you remember when you first realised that you were fated to be a storyteller?

Amber’s latest book, Dating the Enemy, is available now:
The dating game…
Jessie Owens is determined to live life to the fullest so her only rule after meeting the delicious Nick Thornton is to get him into bed!
But things get complicated when Jessie discovers Nick is her company’s biggest rival and that she’s been dating her enemy! By day, Nick seems determined to destroy her company, but by night his sizzling kisses show so much more…
Amber Page lives in Indiana, USA with her husband and daughter. When she's not writing, she's an advertising copywriter. You can find out more at her website or on Facebook and Twitter.


  1. I'm so sorry to hear about that scary time you've been having, Amber, but I'm so sure you'll be telling more stories - not just in your head but on the page.

  2. Hugs Amber. That sounds terrifying - but I agree with Avril - I am sure you'll be telling plenty more stories and I am looking forward to seeing them in print! Nina x