Sunday, February 22, 2015

Weekend Wildcard - Retro Makeovers

We're delighted to have Amy Andrews back at the Pink Heart Society, talking about retro makeovers, the ultimate way to dwindle away some hours...

I have the coolest way to lose a few hours for you today. Thanks to my author friend Ainslie Paton (you should really check her out – ahhmazing books!) I was put onto this site called Thrilling Tales that has a Pulp-O-Mizer!

What the hell is a Pulp-O-Mizer I hear you ask? A customisable Pulp Magazine cover generator.

Clear as mud, right? But oh soooooo cool!

And you don’t have to be an author or have a book to use it. You can use a favourite saying or quote or anything really and at the end it creates an image that you could put on posters or mugs or t-shirts or whatever! It took a little tinkering to figure out how to use it but trust me, if a techno-dunce like me can figure it out, anyone can!

I’ll show you what I mean.

This is No More Mr Nice Guy:

This is it after I Pulp-O-Mized it:

This is Ask Me Nicely (yes, for those of you who’ve been asking for Sal’s story it’s out March 3!!!):

And after I Pulp-O-Mized it:

And my urban-family noir (don’t ask..) May release Limbo. This is it before:

This is it after:

How cool is that? And so much fun!

Apart from the wonderfully kitsch appeal of this I think I’m particularly drawn to pulp fiction covers as I’ve just written my first P.I. in Limbo and also Samantha, the heroine in Risky Business, decides to expand into the second hand pulp fiction market. I think my subconscious is trying to tell me something!

I highly recommend it. And that’s totally where I’ll be hanging out today! 

What are your thoughts on retro and noir-esque book covers?  How do you prefer to spend a lazy, procrasti-worthy afternoon?

Amy's latest novel - No More Mr Nice Guy - is out now, and climbing up the bestseller charts:

He's done playing the nice guy...

Newly single school counselor Josie Butler just made herself a Sexy To-Do list. To her mortification, her best friend's gorgeous older brother Mack finds it…and laughs. But when Josie goes looking for some sexy fun, Mack's nice guy side turns all hot bad-assery, and suddenly she's pinned against an alley wall. Hottest. Sex. Ever.  

Veterinarian Mack Kennedy can't believe Josie wants to ditch her sweet, girl-next-door lifestyle. Even worse, that she'd consider doing it with anyone but him. When she leaves for London they'll go back to being 'just friends' but until then, he'll show her just how bad nice guys can be.

And it's the perfect plan, as long as no one finds out... and no one falls in love.

For more information about Amy Andrews and her writing exploits, check out her website, subscribe to her newsletter and follow her on Facebook and Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment