Saturday, February 21, 2015

The #3Amigas: Nina Milne - The Waiting Game


We're super excited to have Nina Milne, one of the #3Amigas, back on the Pink Heart Society as she talks about what happens once you've submitted that manuscript...

As you can gather from the title of this I am currently playing ‘The Waiting Game’ a game well known to all writers be they aspiring or published. The time when you have done everything you can to your story: drafted, redrafted, drafted again, polished. The time when you’ve lost blood, sweat, tears and gained a good few grey hairs. And finally brought yourself to hit send and submit your manuscript.

Once that is done your part is over and it’s time to play the Waiting game.

So I suck at this game because I loathe the feeling of being out of control. I usually spend my time convincing myself that I am the suckiest writer in the history of writers and berate myself for my own madness in hitting send. Perversely at the same time in this limbo land of waiting I miss my characters because they have been part of my life for months, with me every day. I feel fidgety and purposeless without them.
So in other words I am a basket case.
But not this time! This time I have vowed to be gracious and poised, I have vowed not to stalk my email, or watch the clock obsessively.
I am going to be mature. I’m got a game plan and the theory is to use a dishcloth both metaphorically and physically!

So...


1) I will clean my study, starting with my desk (as you can see it needs it)

2) I shall dust off my half-finished website and my severely neglected blog (please note it took me ages to even find the darn thing - http://ninamilne.blogspot.co.uk


3) I will use the time to get fit – using these:
Exhibit 1: My bike in my study (a real off road bike attached to a nifty gadget that means I can use my bike as an exercise bike INDOORS!). This is a wonderful theory but sadly one I have not yet put into practice so it has been gathering dust since Christmas.

Exhibit 2: The 30 Day Shred (The most I ever managed was 20 but wow it made a difference)

4) I shall READ (Hurrah, finally I have got to something EASY)

5) And I shall write - there are a couple of secondary characters in my current submission who are calling to me, I also have an idea for a trilogy involving three sisters and I want to write some short stories…so once I choose I’ll be on twitter #1k1hring like a…basket case.

So that’s the theory – in truth I am confident on 4, fairly sure about 5 and ever hopeful about 1-3 – as my husband will attest me and dusters have never had much of an affinity BUT I am going to try! When this waiting game is over, no matter what the outcome, I want to be mentally and physically set to play the next round.

Right now I am off to check my email. In a totally mature, gracious, poised non-stalker like fashion of course. 
Anyone got any other ideas for me? What do you do when you’re waiting to hear back?

Nina's latest book, Breaking the Boss’s Rules, is out now:


Joe McIntyre’s three rules of dating:

1. Never Mix Business and Pleasure
2. One Night Only
3. Never Look Back
Imogen Lorrimer knows that her temporary boss is completely wrong for her – so why does he insist on appearing in her dreams… naked? Perhaps it’s time for Imo to try out his infamous dating rules herself… ?
One business trip to Paris later and they can kiss goodbye to Rule One. Then Imo agrees to be Joe’s plus-one at a wedding… Sticking to Rule Two and Rule Three is hard enough already – on the sun-drenched shores of the Algarve it’s going to be impossible!

Nina Milne lives in Sussex, England with her husband and three children. Prior to becoming an author, she worked as an accountant and a recruitment consultant. To find out more you can follow her on Facebook and Twitter.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nina, thanks for your post. I pressed send on my first submission to HMB and have been stalking my email ever since! Good to know I'm not alone. I'll leave you to the 30 day shred but be with you when you pick up a book!
    x

    ReplyDelete