Friday, January 02, 2015

Friday Fun--New Year's Resolutions

It’s the second day of the New Year and Pink Heart Society editor Jeannie Watt wants to know how everyone is doing with those New Year's resolutions?

Every year I make resolutions and I usually manage to keep them until about the third week in January, then I start drifting back to my old  ways. By mid February, most of my resolutions are history. The problem is that I tend to resolve too many things. There are so many areas of my life that need a little improvement that once I get started on the resolutions, I end up creating an overwhelming document that requires checklists and daily schedules. I love check marks and schedules are fun to make, but not so much fun to keep in the face of the small obstacles life tends to throw one’s way.

Therefore, this year I’ve endeavored to make more realistic resolutions. I’m no longer trying to lose 10 pounds and reorganize all closets and write weekly letters and avoid candy and reread the classics and mediate daily and implement an exercise program, etc, etc.  

Instead:

Resolution: Throw away all those orphan socks that have been stockpiled for years in hopes that the mates will show up. [Note that I’m not saying I won’t start a new collection. I’ll simple get rid of the old one.]

Resolution: Watch at least one movie a week with husband. Let him chose every other movie.  Prepare to watch Raging Bull and The Godfather. Pay attention to male dialogue for future reference. On the flip side, husband can prepare to watch every Cary Grant movie ever made.

Resolution: Let the dog sleep on the bed at night. Really, in the overall scheme of things, does a little dog hair and numb legs really matter when it makes her so happy?

Resolution: Buy stock in pet hair sticky-roller manufacturing company.

Resolution: Remember that people are usually doing their best. Be patient.

Resolution: Get rid of all the  this-will-look-great-once-I-lose-ten-pound clothing hanging in my closet. Guilt clothes are no longer welcome. I will dress the body I have, because honestly, it seems to be sticking around.


And that is my list of 2015 resolutions. How about you? Do you make resolutions? Do they involve a master plan or are they more along the lines of a few vague wishes?

2 comments:

  1. I haven't made any resolutions for a long time. However I'm going to try and be more active on the blogs this year as I missed the interaction. Dry eyes stopped me but to heck with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to seeing you back on the boards. Hope you conquer the dry eyes!

    ReplyDelete