Monday, December 08, 2014

Male on Monday - My Friday Night Lights Crush

Jennifer Hayward is here with our Male on Monday this week at the Pink Heart Society. She's reaching into one of her all time FAVOURITE television shows for her sexy man, and that would be Friday Night Lights' Coach Eric Taylor (aka Kyle Chandler).

From the first minute I tuned into this much acclaimed show about life in Dillon, Texas, “where high school football brings the community together -- and the drama of small town life threatens to tear it apart”, I fell in love with it and the characters. It was one of those shows that had this underground following which gradually transformed into a huge success for five amazing seasons.  

One of the big reasons this show was so magical is Kyle Chandler. As the brand new coach of the Dillon Panthers in the pilot episode, he is the man who might finally take this promising team to the state championship. But he is also much more than that. He is the glue that holds this squabbling, testosterone-laden team together. As the players suffer through the trials and tribulations of young adulthood and life under the insanely intense spotlight of an American football town, Coach Taylor teaches them about heart; to do things for the right reasons. He is also a second father to many of the players. But it's not always smooth sailing... How I love the scene when the quarterback arrives at his house to tell him he wants to date his daughter!

Early on in the show, when his squabbling team is working toward its dream of a state championship, Coach Taylor scrawls this on the chalkboard in the locker room: 'Clear eyes, full heart, can't lose.' It becomes the theme for the show and a slogan you can find on t-shirts across the United States. It’s so emblematic of what makes Friday Night Lights so great – it's so full of heart and love. It’s not about football. It’s about life.

Coach Taylor is also the sexiest husband on the face of the planet to the wonderful Connie Britton many of you will know from Nashville. Britton works as the guidance counselor at the high school and the chemistry these two share on the show is so fabulous, I can’t even explain it. It’s tough, sweet, sexy, subtle. And he’s a great dad. The whole package.

Oh and did I mention Taylor Kitsch is in this show? He plays bad boy Tim Riggins and OMG.

If you haven’t seen this show, you just have to watch it. It’s one of those ones I wish I was just discovering, so I could get all excited when I realize there are five seasons to watch. That’s how much I love it. In fact, I might just watch it all over again.

If I haven’t convinced you to watch it by now, then the line that opens the final season will. The radio DJ in Dillon declares, as a heat wave settles over Texas, “"I'm sweatin' like a whore in church."

Enough said.

In the spirit of great American football, I'm giving away a copy of my football inspired book, Changing Constantinou's Game, to a commenter. Which is again, not a book about football really, but about what happens when your dream disintegrates before your eyes and how you rebuild. 

I'm interested to know, what TV shows are your fav?

One kiss couldn't hurt, could it?

Alexios Constantinou is notorious for his lethal charm, so when the exquisite Isabel Peters is—literally—dropped into his lap during a hellish elevator ride, he doesn't waste the opportunity! With tensions sky-high after their near-death experience, an insatiable desire ignites between them, and all bets are off.

But when Alex discovers that reporter Isabel's next story is him, he's furious…yet determined to use it to his advantage. He's calling the shots, but the closer Isabel gets, the closer she comes to discovering his carefully concealed secret. Now, with everything at stake, he'll need a whole new game plan…

Jennifer's latest book, The Magnate's Manifesto, has been nominated as one of Romantic Times Magazine's Reviewer's Choice Best Books of 2014. You can read an excerpt here. To find out more about Jennifer and her books, you can visit her website or find her on Facebook and Twitter.


  1. I adore Friday Night Lights. My favourite character (aside from Tami, played by the magnificent Connie Britton) was Matt Saracen, played by Zach Gilford. Such a rich and textured series, and I don't even like sport! favourite show is The Mentalist and I'm really excited to have the romance out in the open for the last series.

  2. Yay Avril! Another FNL fan! I adored Matt too. Actually just saw a "What would Tami Taylor Do" tshirt and thought I must HAVE that. :) I really do have to watch this all over again! And maybe the Mentalist too..

  3. I love Person of Interest and the hunky Jim Caviezel. I think his character, John Reese, would make a lovely tortured romance hero seeking redemption.

    1. Ooh Carol I must check out Person of Interest. Am determined to carve out more downtime for TV this winter! I will report back :) Thanks for dropping by! x

  4. I will have to have a look out for Friday Night Lights. I love Game of Thrones and am looking forward to it returning in April. Currenltly I'm watching Homeland which is v uneven.

    1. Michelle it is SO good. You don't even have to like football. I cry every episode. My husband comes up from the basement, sees me balling and says "Oh FNL night is it?" But it's good crying too :) I have to get into Game of Thrones!

    2. LOL. And you must try Peaky Blinders. I resisted the first series but then got hooked on the second. They are making a third. violent but worth it. The acting is fantastic CIllian Murphy is super. Then there is the sound track...

  5. I forgot to choose a winner! Carol you are the winner of a copy of Changing Constantinou's Game. Could you message me your mailing details?