Sunday, December 21, 2014

Jenna Kernan - My Holiday Rounds

The Pink Heart Society is delighted to welcome Harlequin author Jenna Kernan today, as she talks about her winter traditions...

It’s the holiday season and every year I make it into NYC for a dose of bright lights. Christmas just wouldn’t be complete without the annual outing to my favorite New York holiday spots. 

I’ve even made a map of the must see store windows. 

My hands down favorite every year is Barneys. Nearby are Bloomingdales, Bergdorf Goodman and of course, the Harry Winston jewelry on Fifth Avenue. Now, that’s a sight to warm any girl’s heart! 

Add to that another of my favorite free stops, the tree at Rockefeller Center. You don’t hear free and NYC very often, but my window tour cost only a bag of warm chestnuts and the cup of hot chocolate that I get in a snack bar under 30 Rockefeller Plaza. There is a very nice observation area of the ice skating rink here. 

Once I saw their skating Santa in the snack bar fetching a coffee while still on skates. 

I always stop into St. Patrick’s Cathedral to light a candle and visit the indoor nativity that is life-sized. A little farther south I stroll past the Saks windows, the store itself is decorated like a gigantic building-sized package in a glittering red bow.
Farther south, on Fifth Avenue outside the main branch of the NYC Public Library, I visit the lions (named Patience and Fortitude), bedecked in their evergreen wreaths. That sight always puts me in a holiday spirit. There is also a beautiful tree inside the library, along with an enormous Lego lion. Did you know there is a free museum just inside as well? On my last visit I saw the original Winnie-the-Pooh and friends. Just delightful! A few steps south I visit Lord and Taylor. Their windows always tell a holiday story with miniature moving figures.   

On my way out of town I make sure to glance up at the top of the Empire State Building which glows in seasonal splendor all red and green. Finally, once inside of Grand Central Station, I pause amid the bustle. Though there is no tree here, GCT does have a light display in the huge panels of windows. There is also a transit museum, tucked off the main atrium. At Christmas, they have a large toy train set up with several kinds of trains zooming about on three levels. I feel very lucky to be so close to NYC yet far enough away for the quiet I need to write.
I have extra reason to celebrate this season with two releases. I have a novella in the anthology collection WILD WEST CHRISTMAS, which is a Western historical romance. And this month my newest paranormal romance, THE SHIFTER’S CHOICE, arrives from Harlequin Nocturne. Many of my fans have written to ask when to expect Johnny’s story. 

This is it, the tale of the werewolf who cannot change back to human form. I’ve given him a feisty street-wise heroine. Unlike my heroine, Johnny understands the risks involved in her loving a monster. But as they grow closer, he isn’t sure if he’ll be able to do the honorable thing…or protect her from the enemies intent on keeping him in werewolf form forever.

For an excerpt or to join my mailing list, please visit my website, and do follow me on Twitter.

I’ve enjoyed sharing with you my favorite holiday activities. What are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment