Sunday, December 07, 2014

Farrah Rochon - My Christmas Bucket List

We're delighted to welcome guest author Farrah Rochon back to the Pink Heart Society today!  She's talking all about her Christmas Bucket List...

It seems as if everywhere you look these days there’s a bucket list for one thing or another. Well, as someone whose entire life is ordered by "to do" list, you can put me squarely in that list-making category. Believe it or not, I actually have a bucket list of things I've always wanted (but have yet to have the chance) to do at Christmastime.

Christmas is, by far, my favorite time of the year. And as much as I love the family traditions I’ve celebrated since I was a little girl—opening gifts at my parents’ home, going to Mass on Christmas morning, watching A Christmas Story over and over again—I have this burning desire to change things up a bit.

Here are just a few items from my Christmas Bucket List:

Make snow angels. I know this may seem like no big deal to many of you, especially if you’re from one of the many areas that receive more than its share of snow every year, but growing up in the South, I don't get to see much of the fluffy white stuff. Every time I watch one of those adorably cheesy holiday movies on the Hallmark Channel, someone is always making a snow angel. I want to do that! I'm sure it's cold and my hair would be a mess once I'm done, but it'll be worth it for the experience.

Cook an entire Christmas meal. I’m not sure I should share this, just in case someone in my family runs across this blog post and tries to hold me to it. Preparing the Christmas meal is one of those things that sounds good in theory, but I’m not sure I can pull it off. I’m no slouch in the kitchen, but the Christmas meal is an important one and often involves our huge extended family. The thought of cooking for so many people intimidates me, yet I still want to do it.

Spend the holidays in a Norman Rockwell Painting. Remember the movie Funny Farm with Chevy Chase? I won't go into a long description, but in the movie, Andy Farmer (Chevy Chase’s character) convinces his neighbors to create the perfect Christmas town in order to entice house hunters to buy the home that he and his wife no longer want. The town’s residents go all out. There are carolers and a big Christmas tree in the center of town. It’s a complete sham, but ever since seeing that movie I've wanted to spend at least one holiday season in a town such as that one. It would be like living in a Normal Rockwell painting.

If I can’t spend Christmas in the town of Redbud from Funny Farm, then I would like to spend it in a town much like the one we create with our family’s yearly miniature Christmas village. It’s the quintessential idyllic small town.

Here’s a video I made of our Christmas village from a few years ago. Who wouldn’t want to spend the holidays here?

If you had a Christmas Bucket List, what sort of things would be on it?  

Speaking of small towns, A Perfect Holiday Fling, from my “Moments in Maplesville” small-town novella series, is currently $0.99! It’s the perfect way to escape to a small town for the holidays:

It’s no mystery why veterinarian Callie Webber is having a hard time getting into the holiday spirit. When the residents of her small hometown aren’t pitying her because of her ex-husband’s very public departure, they’re attempting to hook her up with a man…any man. Fed up with being everyone’s favorite charity case, Callie considers closing her animal clinic and moving to the big city. But, before she goes, she decides to give herself a Christmas treat to remember: a romantic holiday fling. And who better to have a fling with than the gorgeous newcomer who is turning heads around Maplesville? 


When injured Navy pilot Stefan Sutherland reluctantly rescues a gutter cat for the sake of his five-year-old nephew, he never imagined it would lead to him discovering Maplesville’s most fascinating attraction…its smoking hot vet. 

Getting involved with a woman was the last thing Stefan anticipated when he agreed to care for his nephew during his Army nurse sister’s deployment, but if he’s going to spend the holidays in this sleepy Southern town, why not make the most of it with the perfect holiday fling. 

You can find A Perfect Holiday Fling on Amazon, B&N and at the iBookStore now. Farrah loves to hear from her readers on Facebook and Twitter, as well as on her website.

2 comments: