Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Author's Christmas Trees

It's Christmas Eve and here at The Pink Heart Society, we're going through the keyhole to take a look at some of our columnist's trees. What's more, they've each brought a gift in the form of a book recommendation!

The first gorgeous tree belongs to Donna Alward, who says: "Trying to keep our tree skirt flat is an exercise in futility. The cats get under there and spin it up!"

Her book recommendation is Make My Wish Come True by Fiona Harper. "I loved this book – it made me laugh and it also made me sniffle, and it reminds me a little bit of The Holiday (the movie with Jude Law, Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet and Jack Black). I adore The Holiday so that whole “swap situations at Christmas” thing is fabulous! I have her current release, Little Shop of Hopes and Dreams ready to read during the Christmas break." 

Kate Hardy has gone for a tall, slender tree this year; " it doesn't take over the house, though my guitar and amp have temporarily moved to my daughter's bedroom to make room for it. I also have a wicker reindeer with lots of twinkly white lights on, and I am VERY pleased with that. I might even tidy my office so it can live there for the rest of the year (still with twinkly lights on). "

Her book recommendation is The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths. "Heroine is a forensic archaeologist, it's the first of a series, and it's set in the North Norfolk coast (i.e. my real life favourite place in the world, about a 40-minute drive from my front door). It was recommended to me by Anna Campbell and I liked it so much that I bought the other five books in the series - officially it's crime but there's romance in there (and I can't wait for the next one!)."


Next up is Stefanie London, who gives us; "A very close shot of our tree, given it's impossible to take a full shot without getting all the cables in it (ugh, boys and their cables!)"

Her book recommendation is Not Until You by Roni Loren "...which I have just finished reading and absolutely adored! Easily in my top five for the year, and I can't wait to get stuck into the rest of the Loving On The Edge series."


Kate Walker brings us a couple of close-ups. This time of decorations which have sentimental value. "I made these for my son's first Christmas and without them on the tree it isn't Christmas! (Cue slight problem when Charlie the Maine Coon was a kitten and thought they were put there just for him to take away and chew!)"

Her book recommendation is The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion. "A romance and so much more.  I  was given it by one of the students on my February course, started reading it with an 'I'm not sure about this' sort of feeling and ended up loving it - and laughing aloud in places.  Looking forward to the follow up."

Amber Page's gorgeous tree comes with a book recommendation that isn't - *gasp* - a romance! She recommends It's Lamb by Christopher Moore. "Probably my favorite book of all time, it fills in the gaps of Jesus' life story. It's funny and only slightly sacrilegious."


Annie West recommends Maybe This Christmas by Sarah Morgan. "...a perfect Christmas read set in a glorious winter wonderland. I loved the warmth, the sense of community, the setting (!!) and above all the characters who find true love after working so hard to avoid it."


Michelle Styles recommends Little Shop Of Hopes And Dreams by Fiona Harper, proving Fiona's books are a hit with our authors! " is an excellent escapist read... one of my best reads for 2014."


And last but not least, we have Trish Wylie's tree. "I'm running on the theory that more still isn't enough when it comes to ornaments this year. And the cats have stayed away from it (so far). That's a Christmas miracle, unto itself!"

Her book recommendation is Partials by Dan Wells. "I devoured all three books in this series over a weekend and absolutely loved them. They have action, adventure and romance. What more could you want in a book?!"

Here's hoping Santa brings us all some great books this Christmas Eve!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment