Saturday, December 13, 2014

A Little Something for the Weekend - All About Montana

We're delighted to welcome New York Times & USA Today bestselling author B. J. Daniels to the Pink Heart Society today.  She's writing all about the place that inspires her novels - Montana.

I live in Montana in a small rural town three hours from the closest Target. Most people gasp when they hear that. But I love where I live because it is the Montana I write about. I see real cowboys, cows and pickups every day.

I know the hardships of living in a place where one day it will be 50 degrees and the next it will be below zero and snowing. From November to April, it is possible to get caught in a blizzard that will close the roads out of town.

Because of all this, Montana is a huge part of my books. It’s like another character.

If you drive five minutes out of town to the south on a dirt road, you might not see another person for sixty miles. If it rains or snows, you probably won’t be able to get back to town because we have this mud called gumbo.

You also won’t be able to call for help because there is little to no cell phone coverage. It’s why most everyone in these parts carry a sleeping bag, water and something to eat – just in case you don’t get back for a while.

But as you might have guessed, it makes for a great place to set my books. Anything can happen up in this country – and it does. It seems like there are always people getting lost in the mountains, small planes disappearing, bodies disappearing in the rivers and lakes, human bones turning up out in the middle of nowhere or in some rancher’s well. Montana is full of stories.

Our state often gets those people who are running away from civilization. So there are plenty of anti-government types around. Heck, we even have the mystery of the strangely mutilated cows that are rumored to have been experimented on by aliens. Only in Montana.

But while a beautiful place to set stories, Montana isn’t a place for the weak at heart. Another great asset we have here are strong, capable men who know and love the land.

So you can see why I write about where I live. I’ve been told by readers that when they read one of my books, they feel as if they are in Montana. Nothing makes me happier.

Sharing this state is part of the fun. I also sneak in just a little geology, strange facts and state history. The trick is keeping a page-turning pace while slipping in enough of Montana to add the flavor.

And there is almost always a MURDER. It is kind of like cooking. I was born in Texas, so most everything that gets cooked in my house has a hot pepper in it.:)

My father brought us to Montana when I was five. He fell in love with the state and passed that love and a quest for adventure on to me.

Watch for B. J. Daniels' new series, The Montana Hamiltons, to begin with WILD HORSES out Feb. 24th and available for pre-order now:

 It took only one impusive moment on an empty two-lane highway to cost her everything.

A man's responsible for his own prosperity—especially if he's Cooper Barnett, the most determined cowboy in the West. No one knows what he sacrificed to claim a piece of Beartooth, Montana, for himself and his beautiful fiancée, Livie. No one knows what he's willing to do for love…until a stranger's twisted vendetta threatens the happy ending they should've had long ago.

One fateful mistake isn't the only secret Livie Hamilton is keeping from her fiancé. Victimized during a treacherous blizzard by a man she thought she could trust, she's pregnant…but unsure who the father is. With an unknown blackmailer threatening to expose her, she must confess to Cooper and trust he'll still protect her. But when the truth falls into place, she may lose the only man she's ever loved—or worse

To find out more about B. J.'s writing, check out her website, and follow her on Twitter and Facebook.


  1. Hi BJ--I love your books! I live in rural Nevada and drive 70 miles one way to work, so I know exactly what you're talking about. My parents live in rural Montana--beautiful state, but not for the feint of heart.

  2. LOL Jeannie, so glad you are enjoying the books! Yes, Montana isn't an easy place to live but it soundalike where you are isn't either. :) Thanks for stopping by!

  3. I adore you and your books, BJ! I have to admit that I get a little freaked out about some of the details in your books...they're pretty much my worst nightmare happenings on ski trips. LOL. And I know how much you love that cold. #Not Can't wait to dig into your new series!!

    1. Barb, thanks so much for all the kind words -- and for stoppinig by. I adore you -- and your books!!! In fact, look for Barb Han's complete story soon on my website!!!

  4. Have read your books and love the setting in Montana. We want to come back and see more of it. Can't wait to read this one.

  5. Hi Mary, I'm delighted you're enjoying the books! Montana kind of does that to people. They always want to come back. Better in the summer though unless you like snow and cold. :) Thanks so much for stopping by!

  6. I love BJ's books. I always finish one and then anxiously await the next. I love how your imagery pulls the reader in and makes them feel apart of the story.